Thursday, August 30, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #4 - Becca says...


Thirteen Things about What Becca Says!

Becca's language is starting to explode lately, which is normal for 19 months, I think. Here are 13 of the most common words and phrases that she says:

  1. Tay ‘oo - Becca-ese for Thank You – she actually says this unprompted even! The big girls used to also but I’ve noticed that this ability seems to disappear somewhere between the ages of 1 and 4. One of those milestones that the books never tell you about… LOL

  2. Mine! - This one is usually said vehemently while pulling something away from a big sister trying to repossess said item. Usually, whatever it is, is not actually hers.

  3. Mommee! - She just started saying this one instead of ‘mama’. It’s usually used in a pleading voice when she’s either been put in her crib for a nap or bedtime or if she’s been locked out of the girls’ room by the gate in their doorway. Also used in a tone to break your heart any time I attempt to put her down in a strange new place or hand her off to anyone else. Including Daddy, much to his dismay. This little one is very definitely a mama’s girl!

    Also used commonly is Maaaa! - This one is usually in a demanding tone anytime she wants to get my attention. Often accompanied by pointing, grabbing or pulling on me. Used interchangeably with our daycare provider’s name when she’s at daycare – and as far as I know, she’s never mixed the two up.

  4. Baby! - Used when she sees a real baby somewhere, or when she sees herself in a mirror or photo. Also used to refer to any of the 14,536 baby dolls we have in the house, whether they're hers or not. Also used while trying to wrestle any of the baby dolls out of a big sister's hands while said baby doll is in the process of being repossessed by said big sister.

  5. Aab-ee - This is apparently the generic form of ‘sister’ since she uses this to refer to both Abby and Hannah.

  6. Dowa, backpack, boots - Hmmm, I wonder where she picked these up from… LOL

  7. Bye... - Usually accompanied by the cutest little wave you’ve ever seen. Although the combination breaks my heart every time I see it as I’m leaving her at daycare.

  8. Dawggie! - Either her little stuffed dalmatian doggie that goes everywhere with her, or any real dog we see. Also used to refer to other various animals, stuffed or not, such as bears, pigs, elephants, etc.

  9. Kittee! - Usually said with a gleeful little tone to her voice as she manages to get a hold of any portion of either of our cats’ anatomy. Often a leg or tail. Also can refer to larger animals of the cat variety such as a lion or tiger when seen in a book or on tv.

  10. Daa-dee! - Almost always said to Ron, with a squeal in her voice the minute she hears his voice or sees him – or hears the phone ring. Unfortunately this can also refer to any other man she sees from afar in a Comcast uniform or driving a Comcast truck – such as our next-door neighbor, who works with Ron. Leaving me to attempt to explain to a very stubborn and disappointed toddler that no, that is not Daddy, even though it looks like it from here…

  11. Nigh-nigh - We usually hear this one when carrying her into her room to change a diaper or put pajamas on. Usually said in a questioning sort of sing-song tone. For a while she’d say it when I put her to bed, but lately I’ve been getting more of #3 and #13 instead of this.

  12. Uh-uh-uh - Can mean just about anything since yes, she is still using the ‘point-and-grunt’ method when words fail her. Generally can be translated as either, “get me those crayons in the cupboard over there, I want to color”, “get me *insert name of toy*”, “put me in my chair because I’m hungry and I want to eat”, “no, don’t walk that way, I want you to come over here” – accompanied by pulling on my hand or pant leg, or “I want *fill-in-the-blank*!”.

  13. And, of course, we can’t forget the ever popular, “NO!” - She’s very good at this one, especially paired with foot-stomping, pushing your hands away, dropping down limp and boneless, squirming and wiggling to get away, and/or tears. She is starting to master the art of tantrum-throwing already… sigh.

Those are things she says on a regular basis – she’ll come out with a lot of other words and phrases lately that we’ve only heard once or twice so aren’t sure if she actually meant to say them. Ron swears he heard her count to three the other day, for example. I wouldn't be at all surprised if she did.

It’s hard not to compare our 3 kids – Abby was a fairly late talker but Hannah talked in complete sentences by the time she was the age Becca is now. Becca seems to be right about in the middle as far as language goes…


Links to other Thursday Thirteens!






Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!


Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network add to sk*rt

14 wonderful people said...:

No Nonsense girl said...

kids are soo sweet, how amazing it is the things they learn eh!

Have a great day!!!

Yen said...

This is just sweet! Awesome list! TFS:)

Mine's up to!

Lori said...

I have an 11mth old..I can't wait to hear those words;)

~Amber~ said...

How absolutely adorable!!!!

MamaArcher said...

great list, my 12 month old's first word was "ticka ticka" for tickle tickle, she uses ticklicking hand motions at the same time!

eastcoastlife said...

Yeah... my son spoke such a cute language too! They are so adorable at this age! Happy TT!

Denise Patrick said...

Great list. She sounds like such a sweetie pie. My youngest's first word was #2.

Happy TT!

WorksForMom said...

This is SOOO sweet and will fun to look back at in the future!

Qtpies7 said...

Kids say the cutest things! My husband used to correct the kid's baby talk, but then my dd stopped saying "Fweefwee" for "Horse" and my husband was sad, just like I said he would be! Now we enjoy all their made up words.

Mom not Mum said...

Aww cute - I miss some of the words my 5 year old used to say. I am glad though that she doesn't say kitty with a T sound at the beginning anymore ;)

Nap Warden said...

"No!" seems to be the biggest word in our house. Oh to go one day without the word "No!"
Happy TT

Miranda said...

Awww...I miss the cute words they say. Its all so different than when they're grown up.

Great list....Happy TT!!!

FRIGGA said...

She sounds like a smart cookie, and quite cute! :P
Happy TT13 :-)

Christine said...

Becca's a month older than Lindsay, and I was just counting today how many words Lindsay says for a T13, but I could only come up with 11, Ok I was able to get to 13, she says I want...and milk.
Aside from the obvious Mommy and Daddy, she of course says "NO" very well too. The other day I heard her say Cheese, hot dog and gum. She says Hello and Nana, oh and grandma, and bubbles, and Mine.

Isn't amazing how their language explodes, once they've learned they can talk.

She sounds like a cutie.
Happy thursday!