Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #6 - Our drama queen


Thirteen Things about our very dramatic four-year-old!

Hannah is our drama queen and champion tantrum thrower. Even at age 4 1/2, she is a pro. It's been a long week since school began last Tuesday and she's been more tired than usual, which equals more whining and fit-throwing. I think we handle them ok - we generally ignore her or make sure she doesn't get attention or get whatever she's throwing the fit about. I wish we could come up with a way to get her to calm down to begin with though.

Here are 13 of the ones I've had to put up with in the past week or so.

  1. "I want to go to the party too!" or "I want to go to a birthday party!" Abby was invited to a friend's birthday party last weekend and guess who got her nose bent out of shape that she didn't have a party to go to also...

  2. "I want a ball too!" This one is related to the above - Abby brought home a bouncing ball that smelled like bubble-gum and Hannah wanted one too. Abby was very nice and shared hers.

  3. "I didn't get to kick a goal!" or "I didn't get a turn!" This was the reason for her tears on the soccer field last weekend - apparently all is not right in Hannah's world unless it (or at least the soccer game) revolves around her. So we're working on that one.

  4. "I don't want that cup/bowl!" A common reason for an outburst - or maybe just an excuse for one, I don't know. I find it's easier just to let her pick out her own tableware these days to avoid these fits. I gave her a cup of milk at dinner and she started in with the "I don't want that cup!" until she realized it wasn't getting anywhere. She drank her milk. Often her tantrums don't last long, but sometimes it's hard for her to calm down.

  5. "I don't want to wear this dress, I want to wear the pink dress!" The girls had school pictures taken on Monday. I chose a blue striped dress for Hannah to wear because it matches her eyes - she looks so sweet in blue. Apparently she doesn't think so - she wanted to wear the pink striped dress instead. Which would normally be fine, but when she starts out by throwing a fit, she doesn't get what she wants. She wore the blue dress that day. :)

  6. "Owwwww!", "I don't want two little ponytails/one ponytail...!" I'm sure that I don't pull her hair enough to make her cry as much as she does every time I brush it. Abby never cries. Hannah starts crying before I even touch her hair with the brush and she generally gets upset with whatever I plan to do with her hair that day. She's old enough now that I've started asking her what she wants me to do to it, but there are some days that I either have to do it quickly or want to do something in particular (like for school photos or soccer) and she'll often throw a fit. Tough luck, little peanut-girl.

  7. "I don't want that for dinner!" Ah yes, I'm sure most parents hear this one at one time or another. I get it from Hannah many nights unless we're having either peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, mostaciolli, or chicken.

  8. "I can't put on my sock!" Usually this comes out in a garbled mess or she just starts screaming. For some reason, she gets really upset if the line at the toe of her sock isn't just... quite... right... when she tries to put it on. Sigh.

  9. "My seatbelt is all twisted!" I'm not sure why, but instead of just calmly asking for help she feels the need to cry and whine over this one. Which is strange because usually the minute she calms down and tries again, she gets it straightened out just fine by herself.

  10. "Becca has my *fill in the blank*!" Sibling rivalry is in full swing here and she and Becca fight over Hannah's baby doll, Hannah's stuffed animals, Hannah's books, etc. This is also often followed by, "Becca hit me!" when Becca retaliates after Hannah takes whatever it is away from her. Ah yes, sisterly love...

  11. "Abby took my toothpaste!" This one got Hannah a time out last night at 'brush teeth' time when Abby grabbed Hannah's toothpaste and Hannah reacted by grabbing it back and hitting Abby with it. Not acceptable!

  12. "I don't want to wear these pants!" We were treated to this one for most of this morning. I'm not sure exactly why she didn't want to wear them - they're new and both girls usually love wearing new clothes. She kept crying about wanting 'pants with pictures on them'. (I have no idea what she means - anyone have any thoughts? Apparently I need to get more current on what the elementary school set are wearing this year...) Oh yes, and she did wear the ones I'd put out - again, fit-throwing never gets you what you want.

  13. Another one common to all parents, I'm sure, the "I'm not tired!". Usually accompanied by yawning and rubbing the eyes while whining and crying.
I'll be glad when we get a little more into the school routine over the next few weeks - she's not usually this bad with fit-throwing, but she's been a lot more tired. She definitely has her moments! Oh yes, all of the above are usually paired with scowling at us (when not crying), crossing her arms, stamping her foot and then defiantly putting her thumb in her mouth and holding her belly button with her other hand while glaring at us. LOL Yes, she is definitely a drama queen.



Links to other Thursday Thirteens!






Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!




Powered by ScribeFire.

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network add to sk*rt

19 wonderful people said...:

No Nonsense girl said...

Can I move in with you? (for a week? LOL)

Anna said...

Girls! Aren't they fun? I usually did my best to ignore whining and tantrums, hoping the kids would get the idea that it wouldn't get them what they want. I don't know if it worked or not, since my daughter still seems to whine about everything - and she's almost 17.

I'm giving you an award, not that it will ever make up for all you have to deal with. :P Come over and pick it up.

Wolfbernz said...

Kids you got to love'em...I have four children.

Happy TT

Mine's Up!

crazy working mom said...

Gosh, I have one of those in my house too!!

FRIGGA said...

Reading that brought back many memories of living with my sister's fam when my niece was 4. They are a lot of fun at that age! :P Happy TT13!

Damozel (Buck Naked Politics) said...

I love a very DEFINITE child. And it sounds as if you've got one.

I do feel bad for her about the party. It's one of the first things people have to learn---you don't get everything your sibling gets---but it's a tough one.

.. Dallas Meow >^^ said...

hmmm. I hear the same sorta things out of my 15 year old...

Mom not Mum said...

Oh I get that all the time. The boys have an activity and I have NOTHING!!!! I'm boooooooooooored. lol

~Amber~ said...

She is totally a drama queen!!!

Denise Patrick said...

You have your hands full, but it sounds like you're doing a great job. Raising kids is never easy, but is totally worth it in the long run. Good luck and Happy TT!

Christine said...

My 7yo is a pro at it too, he'll keep it up, hoping I'll give in to him. He's done this since he was 18 months old. The girls aren't as whiny or throw tantrums like he used too, but every once in awhile he'll have a meltdown.

I agree Gotta' Love 'Em!! :)

MamaArcher said...

I am tired just reading that! Time for momma to lay down the law! *grin*
thanks for visiting my blog today!

Nap Warden said...

Oh kiddos, it's a good thing they're cute!

Jennifer said...

Thanks for dropping by my place earlier.
I have a 7 yr old daughter that still throws temper tantrums and such just like some you have listed. Las year when she was in a private school I kid you not her bed time was no later then 8pm or *I* paid the price the next day.
Just think how they'll be as teens!AAAAHHHHH!

Natalie said...

Aren't kids just too fun sometimes? (rolling eyes)

Donetta said...

She got the case of the"I wants" it was be contagious:) Thanks for hosting.

Irishcoda said...

Oooooh, what a face! I think Hannah's got a bit of middle-child-syndrome because your list sounded a lot like mine would have when Heidi (the middle child) was that age!

Vixen said...

Oh, I miss those days....and then again I don't, lol. Happy TT

Buck Naked Politics said...

You seem to be keeping your sanity -- quite an impressive feat. She is adorable, though.