HOME ----ABOUT----AWARDS----CONTACT

Saturday, September 1, 2007

Testing, testing...

And we're off... On rounds of testing for both big girls, that is. I've talked about problems that both Abby and Hannah have been having, and we've hit the point with each of them where it's been recommended that we do tests.

Abby's testing is actually starting with Ron and I (hopefully Ron can make it, or it'll just be me). We're supposed to go in next Wednesday evening to talk to the psychologist and give a history, explain the issues, etc. I really hope that this will lead to some real help for Abby and some techniques that Ron and I can maybe use to help her learn how to interact with people better. It's been so difficult this summer trying to keep her challenged enough. I know it'll get better when school starts, but I feel good about our decision to forward with the testing too. We'll see what comes out of it.

Hannah has been doing much worse again with wetting her pants. It's cyclical - she'll go several weeks with little or no accidents, then she'll suddenly start having them again, for no reason that we can fathom. The timer worked well before, but I know they aren't going to be willing to do that at school every day. And it only seems to work for so long anyway. She is going to the bathroom during the day, so it's not that she won't go - she's just wetting her pants anyway. It's time to start looking into possible physical/medical reasons, so her pediatrician is recommending a couple of tests that I can't remember the names of right now, and then a consult with a pediatric urologist. Hopefully this path will lead us to some answers and a way to help her stay dry. I hate to think of what the other kids will say in school if she's constantly wetting her pants.

So, I'll keep updating as we go through the process with both girls. We don't have any appointments set up yet for Hannah, but probably will within the next week or two. And hopefully Ron will be able to come to the first appointment for Abby so that we can talk to the psychologist together before we bring her in for the first time.


Powered by ScribeFire.

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network add to sk*rt

5 wonderful people said...:

Karen said...

Good luck with the testing, I hope you find the information you need and can help the girls.

As for the wetting pants thing. Consider constipation. Yes, sounds weird. But many many times, frequency or wetting pants is caused from constipation. I won't go into all the details in your comment section, but feel free to email me if you want more info. I also think Pediacast did shows on both subjects (urinary incontinence and constipation) so you may want to check there.

I do know that if we don't keep ds "regular" he will go to the bathroom every 5 minutes. Something to think about. :)

Anonymous said...

I hope you feel comfortable with the people doing the testing and the testing process. Remember you know your child best, so don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions and take notes. A lot of time the tests they use can be a bit confusing, so ask for copies and highlight the parts that don't make sense. I am part of the evaluation team at work, I have been since 1985, and was still a bit overwhelmed by the testing process. I am glad you are doing it thou, it will give you a lot of good information. Just remember you have a lot of rights in the process and they can't give any services without your consent. You probably already know this, but I always like to let the parent I work with know this before they sign the consent to test form.
Are you having it done by the School District or privately?
The other thing is kids make so much progress in these early years, it is amazing!!
Hugs to you!!

Anonymous said...

Best of luck to you all. Maybe you'll get the answers you seek.

Addicted to crafting said...

Best luck to you, I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts. :)

Deb said...

Thanks everyone... :)

Karen - yep, we've talked about constipation with her doctor and tried MiraLax for a while - although I'm not totally ruling it out, I don't think that's the total answer either. Thanks!

Eileen - I don't know much about the testing place (it's private, was recommended by our pediatrician), but I'll see what kind of a feel I get when I go in on Wednesday. I'm already feeling overwhelmed - thank you for the advice!!