HOME ----ABOUT----AWARDS----CONTACT

Saturday, February 2, 2008

Me, myself and I

I sit in my living room - alone, and yet not. Downstairs there are two little girls watching a movie and having 'quiet' time. In her room, a third little girl naps plays by herself contentedly.

I love the weekend days when I am home with my girls all day. But even so, this mommy needs a break as well. An hour - maybe two, if lucky - to relax, watch tv, blog, and just to be me. Not a wife, not a mother, not an employee. Just Deb.

Which is why my girls, having either outgrown or outgrowing (unfortunately!) the afternoon 'nap', have their 'quiet' time in the afternoons, after lunch. This is as much for me as for them. Whether playing quietly in her room (Becca) in the hopes that she'll fall asleep, or watching a movie and playing (quietly - at least most of the time) downstairs, this is something that's been a part of their routing for as long as they can remember.

And it will continue to be - for as long as we can get away with it. They do need the break, the time to rest and recharge. But so do I. This time to just 'be' - to doze off if I need to, to blog if I want to, to catch up on my favorite shows if I have to, and to give myself a 'pass' on all of the chores waiting for me. This is not 'catching up on housework' time. This is my time.

And so I look over at the baskets of clean laundry waiting on the couch, at the toys scattered on my living room floor (that badly needs to be vacuumed), at the growing layers of dust that I can never seem to get rid of, and I smile to myself, because I sit here writing this post instead of doing the 1001 things that I know in my mind need to get done. They'll still need to get done an hour from now. But the difference is - an hour from now, I will actually feel more like doing them.

Because I've had (even a short) time to just be me.

This post was written as a submission for the January Group Writing Project over at MamaBlogga, on the topic of 'Me Time'.

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network add to sk*rt

11 wonderful people said...:

Jean said...

I'm having some mom too! Good post.

Unknown said...

Good for you!!

And thanks for posting my giveaway. :)

heidi @ ggip said...

We haven't quite outgrown naps yet, but I plan to use the quiet time approach when we do!!

Anyhow, Hi! I'm around visiting the blogs of people who entered my contest. Thanks for stopping by. I hope you feel welcome to visit again anytime.

BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

I'm checking up on my blog e-mail and Google reader while my 2-year-old naps (yippeee!!! very rare weekend occurrence and my 5-year-old watches TV) I took my oldest to Target and then to a roller skating rink party today and I am pooped. ;)

Moms need down time. It's essential!

Mom Knows Everything said...

I think every mom needs some alone time, for sanity sake.

Debbie @ Three Weddings said...

Moms have to have a little me time or they will lose themselves. I sometimes wander through the grocery aisles enjoying the quiet (when the girls are home with dad). I'm catching up on a little as "we speak".

Phyllis Sommer said...

nice post (and thanks for the reminder to do my gwp post!)... i am a huge believer in that quiet time thing. i love those moments when everything is quiet in the house...

Anonymous said...

I so understand this post, as I think every single mother will! It is so true, we all need that mom, alone time. It recharges our batteries!!! So very important.
XOXOX

Scribbit said...

That sounds like my Mondays and Tuesdays. Everyone goes back to work and school and I have the quiet house to myself to work on what I want. Love it.

Jordan McCollum said...

Wonderful! I'm glad you take the time to take care of yourself first. (Makes me think of that moment on an airplane when they remind you that you have to put on your oxygen mask before assisting others. . . )

I dread my son outgrowing naps and quiet time!

Thanks for participating!

Julie Arduini said...

I'm here because mine is napping! I will miss it when that season ends!