HOME ----ABOUT----AWARDS----CONTACT

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Wow, I didn't think I'd be back here again - but it's only temporary...

WordPress seems to have 'lost' my blog - at least something has gotten very messed up in the past 12-14 hours or so. If you've tried to access 'Mom of 3 Girls' since the evening of April 14th, you probably have been redirected to the WordPress installation page. This has been very frustrating to me, since while I did recently upgrade to WordPress2.5, everything was working perfectly with it for several days, and I'm not sure where or how the connection to my WordPress database was lost.

I'm in the process of trying to figure out what happened and how to fix it - but for now I've directed my URL back here to my former Blogger home so that I could update all of you who might be wondering where I disappeared to. I will keep trying to get things working back at my usual 'home' and hopefully will be back up and running soon. Thanks for your patience and please stay subscribed and keep me bookmarked - I will be back, I promise!! :)

Update: Well, I've tried everything I can think of, and Ron just spent over an hour with it too, and so far nothing's worked. I've posted a question on the WP support forums but have only managed to stump the one brave soul who's attempted to help. Thank you for your comments and e-mails - we're pretty sure that it's a database issue, so I will be calling the hosting service tomorrow (they haven't yet responded to my e-mail from earlier today). As a last resort, I guess I will try to rebuild it from my backup, but I'm hoping that the database itself is ok and just the connection between it and WP has been lost or corrupted somehow.

I'll keep you updated... I'm debating as to whether to post new items here (like Wordless Wednesday) or just wait until I can get WP fixed - right now I'm leaning toward waiting, but wow do I miss being able to blog! :(

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network add to sk*rt

14 wonderful people said...:

Anonymous said...

Deb, contact your host - see when they last did a backup - most do them frequently - so you might be able to get it back fairly easily.

Wendy said...

UGH...what a pain in the tush! This is why I can't have my own domain. I have no idea how to do anything that comes to blogging. LOL!! Good luck.

Karen said...

(blogger may have eaten my first comment....or it will show up twice)

Anyway....sounds like no fun.
I was going to email you and ask how things were, but I didn't want you to have to scream at your screen....again.
Thanks for redirecting the feed so we can stay updated. :)

Anonymous said...

You must be sooooo frustrated!! My hubby said if you have your own hosting you should be able to get to your database that way. I have no idea what that means though.

Anonymous said...

Yikes! I've been too paranoid to upgrade to 2.5... I'll be waiting anxiously to hear what happens with everything :(

Write From Karen said...

Deb, I just thought of something - did you change your web host password? I know my web host requires that I change our password every six months and when we do, that sometimes breaks a database password (depending on how you set the database up).

For example: If your web host password is hello, and you set your WP database up with the password hello, and you change your web host password to exit, then the database password breaks and your WP program gets confused and can't find the database.

Anyhoo, that happened to me with my forum (another reason you shouldn't use the same password on multiple applications).

And by the way, for anyone reading this, it's ESSENTIAL that you use numbers and letters when setting passwords on databases and/or web host accounts. It's MUCH safer and you're less likely to get hacked. I can't stress that enough.

I hope this helps and I hope your web host is being helpful!

If you don't mind, can you post what happened when you get it figured out? I'm curious to know what happened. *smile* Sorry, it's the geek in me. :-)

Write From Karen

Jen @ One Moms World said...

OH NO! I was wondering why I was being redirected. Hope everything gets worked out. Let me know if you need any help. (((HUGS)))

Jordan McCollum said...

Good luck. When you get it fix, if you're not already using it, I'd recommend a plugin like WP Database Backup. I have a weekly backup automatically emailed to me, so hopefully I'll never lose very much.

And like Karen, I'm definitely waiting to upgrade till we see what happens here!

Debbie @ Three Weddings said...

What a mess! I'm no help but just wanted to tell you I'm not going anywhere. Hang in there and I hope you get it all straightened out soon. Who needs something like this to add extra stress to our lives!

Anonymous said...

Oh no! I've had to have my database restored a *few* times thanks to my urge to muck around with templates and such :) Just as an FYI, I use BlueHost, and they have 24 hour live chat with a support person available. I've had my database restored at 1:00 AM. So if you are looking for new hosting, I recommend them.

Anonymous said...

I hope they can get it fixed!!

Congratulations!!!

You are one of Winners of the Adhesive Gift Wrap from Hallmark!!!

Visit this link to see what roll of gift wrap you won:

http://laurawilliamsmusings.blogspot.com/2008/04/winners-of-adhesive-gift-wrap-from.html

Please send look for an email from me (may go in bulk as I use yahoo).

Thanks and Congratulations again!

Laura

Betsy, short for Elizabeth, formally known as Esther said...

Thanks for the update!!!

I hope it is fixed SOON!!!

Airfone said...

This is no fun. Try to fix it as soon as possible.

Term Papers said...

I have been visiting various blogs for my term papers writing research. I have found your blog to be quite useful. Keep updating your blog with valuable information... Regards