HOME ----ABOUT----AWARDS----CONTACT

Saturday, July 21, 2007

Out of the mouth of a 6-year-old

So this was the conversation tonight at dinner (McDonalds - we really need to go grocery shopping!) between Abby and I...

Abby: "Mommy, I really want my own room again. I don't want to share with Hannah anymore."

Me: "Hmmm, but we don't really have an extra bedroom, sweetie."

Abby: "I'll stay in Hannah's and my room and Hannah can sleep somewhere else. And I want my room to be Hello Kitty."

Hannah: "And I want my room to be Tinkerbell!"

Me: "So where do you think Hannah should sleep then?"

First she suggested that Hannah could sleep in the living room. I pointed out that we do kind of need our living room for other things and she countered with the fact that we have another 'living room' in the basement. Ok, she had me there - we do have a rec room in the basement.

Me: "Abby, Hannah is not going to sleep in the living room. Period."

Abby: "Well she can sleep in the bathroom then."

After I firmly explained that the bathroom is not an option either, she was stumped for a couple of minutes. Actually, I was surprised that she didn't suggest kicking Becca out of her room (which was originally Hannah's anyway) and giving that one back to Hannah.

Abby then decided to give me a choice (funny how those things come back at you, isn't it!). Hannah could either sleep downstairs in the basement or we could buy a wall to put in their room.

Me: "And where exactly would we get a wall?"

Abby: "Well.... Not the food store, I guess."

Me: "Abby, Hannah is not going to sleep downstairs and we can't buy a wall for your room. You guys are going to have to keep sharing your room, ok?"

She hasn't quite given up on the idea yet, but she hasn't come up with any other options either. Believe me, there really aren't any for our 3-bedroom house, which is why Abby and Hannah are sharing to begin with. I would like to eventually build a master bedroom downstairs and then give them our current room to share since it's small for a master bedroom (believe me!) but would be a nice size for the 2 girls to share. Since buying a bigger house is out of the question for now.

The funniest part of this whole thing though was later on when I was relating the story to Ron and our neighbors across the street over in their kitchen. When I got to the part about Abby wanting to "buy a wall" for their room, and me asking here where we could 'buy' a wall, our neighbor Brian's response to that was absolutely priceless and I about died laughing.

Wal-Mart.

Oh I wish I'd thought of that!

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network add to sk*rt

0 wonderful people said...: