HOME ----ABOUT----AWARDS----CONTACT

Friday, February 8, 2008

In a blink of the eye...

Recently I turned to look at my oldest daughter as I said something to her (can't remember what I said and it's really not important), and I realized something that I hadn't noticed before.

She is no longer a 'little' girl.

When did this happen? Did this new sense of maturity come in with her new front teeth? When did she lose the last of her chubby 'baby' cheeks? And when did she grow so tall?

I see my children every day but apparently fail to actually 'notice' them, at least to be able to recognize all of these little changes. I know that's common, but I still feel like somewhere I missed a drastic clue as my first baby has moved out of 'preschooler' and into 'kid'. She's wearing 'adult' shoe sizes now (well, only a 1 - but still!), she's reading for herself, and no longer has to be helped with little things like troublesome zippers or shoe-tying. Oh yes, she has her immature side, she can hardly sit still and she's not as socially astute as other kids her age probably are, but somewhere along the way she's become a fairly responsible, helpful, self-sufficient, person.

Who can reach the buttons on our above-the-stove microwave without a step stool. And who can wash her hands in the kitchen sink because she's tall enough to turn the faucet on and off herself. Who can get to those childproofed, high places where we've grown accustomed to putting things out of their reach.

And is getting somewhat close to being able to look me in the eye.

It gets harder every day to remember back to when she was small enough to carry in our arms or when she could comfortably curl up in our laps without sprawling out into the chair. The days when she needed our assistance for every little task are forever gone. And as nice as that is most of the time, a part of me yearns back to the days when she needed me more, like her little sisters still do.

Before I know it, she'll be off on her own, doing her thing, living her life. And that's the way it's supposed to be. I just wish that it didn't happen so quickly - wasn't she just five yesterday? And three the day before? She can't have been a baby more than a couple of years ago, right?

I wish I could freeze just a moment - a slice of time from each and every age so I could remember, could re-live those days again, if only briefly.

Because she's halfway to being a teenager now - and if the past 6 1/2 years have gone by this fast, then I know the next will be gone

before I can

take a

deep

breath.

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network add to sk*rt

11 wonderful people said...:

~Amber~ said...

That made me bawl!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christy said...

I'm sitting here in tears. That was beautiful.

I've been ill for the past few days and my little one has been bringing me things so I don't have to move around too much. I sat here on the couch earlier today wondering the exact same question. When did she turn into such a sweet little helper?

Great post. I immediately emailed it to a friend of mine.

Barb said...

Oh my gosh... Here's a ginormous hug for you!!!

You may be too young to remember this old song, but I sang it to my kids when they were little..

"Where are you going my little one, little one? Where are you going my baby, my own? Turn around and you're two. Turn around and you're four. Turn around and you're a young girl walking out of the door."

Treasure these days. :)

I've tagged you with the Link Love meme! :)

BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

This is so so true. My oldest daughter will be 6 in June and it dawned on me today that she is truly not a baby any more.

Beautiful post.

Debbie @ Three Weddings said...

I want a time machine! My oldest will be a teenager in less than 2 years and will be going to Jr. High next year! It really hits me when I look at pictures that are just 1 or 2 years old.

Jean said...

I feel ya on this. My oldest made scrambled eggs and toast for us for breakfast this morning. He needed help on some of it but for the most part did it on his own. It's almost incomprehensible.
Then Bossy my baby will be 4 in June and that really messes up my head. I can't wrap my brain around him being a kindergartener next year. He's still my baby!

Karen said...

As the mother of a 13 yr old I know how you feel. She's 1/2 way to the age I was when I had her! Wow!
It is just nuts how fast they grow.

we are reilly said...

oh, don't make me cry -- my little almost-3-year-old is growing up too fast! Dont' tell me she's going to be 6 tomorrow?!

Anonymous said...

Now you've got me crying. Time goes by way tooooooo fast!

I've added you to the Blogaholics Anonymous Blogroll. Welcome to the club ;)

Livin' With Me

Unknown said...

I know exactly what you mean. It really does seem like we blink and miss some drastic change. My girl is 13 and I really am looking her in the eye and within the next year I will be looking UP to look into her face. She already wears bigger shoes than me. The worst of all... she just filled out pre-enrollment papers for HIGH SCHOOL!

Enjoy every second of those next 6 1/2 years.

Kim @ TheBitterBall

~Amber~ said...

I am sobbing now...