HOME ----ABOUT----AWARDS----CONTACT

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Newsflash - I actually finished something!

Back in November, I won a contest over at Pediascribe for a beautiful baby blanket from iHemstitch. After looking at the wonderful designs, I decided to pick a 'boy' themed design and give the blanket to Mary for her baby boy (wow, was it tempting though to go with something 'girly' and keep it for us!). I chose to crochet the border on the blanket myself - figuring that since it's been years (approximately 6-1/2 to be exact) since I've finished a crocheting project (or any other, for that matter), a smaller one like this would be a good way to get back into it.

And having a deadline didn't hurt either. :)

I didn't have a chance to start working on it until right after Christmas. That gave me a bit less than a month until the baby was due. Well, baby Eric came early - but since we still haven't made it down there to visit yet, I guess I'm still 'on time' - because I finished the blanket this week!

I thought I would share how it turned out, since I'm rather proud of it, and I promised Karen that I would post pictures. I chose the triangles and arches pattern for the border - which involved 3 rows of crocheting.

Here is the blanket 'before' (while trimming off the excess edges and then after it was trimmed):

iHemstitchBlanket_001

iHemstitchBlanket_002

Here's a close-up of the 'hemstitched' edge - you can see the tiny holes that the crochet stitches go in:

iHemstitchBlanket_003

The first row (single crochets) and the start of the second row...

iHemstitchBlanket_005

Second row done:

iHemstitchBlanket_004

The second row (bottom) and the start of the third row (top)...

ihemstitch-lastrow_001

And.... done!

iHemstitch-Done_004

ihemstitch-lastrow_003

Now we just have to stay healthy enough - and hope for good weather for next weekend - so that we can go down to visit and see baby Eric, and give him his new blanket. It was fun to work on something blue for a change... :)

Thank you Karen and thank you to Kendra from iHemstitch!

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network add to sk*rt

15 wonderful people said...:

Kristi said...

It turned out very cute. great job finishing it.

Unknown said...

Great job!! It's beautiful. :)

Now stay well so you can go visit!

we are reilly said...

WOW -- you did a GREAT job!

Anonymous said...

That is absolutely beautiful! :)

I love it. Great job on this one.

Kerry said...

Deb, it's amazing! Great job.

Anonymous said...

What a great looking blanket! Good job! I love the choice of fabric.

bcmomtoo said...

That's an adorable blanket. I bet it feels good to have it finished, and I bet they're going to love it.

Kimmie said...

Wow, did the crocheting take long, it looks so delicate.
When I was a girl an old neighbor woman tried to teach me tatting (think that's how you spell it). I never mastered it, as it took such a lonnnnnggggg time.

Your blankets are beautiful and the lace makes it look extra beautiful.

Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted * we are waiting on our latest adoption..this time to Ethiopia!

Mom Knows Everything said...

That's beautiful! You did a great job! I'm still working on my daughters afghan that I started 2 years ago.

Betsy, short for Elizabeth, formally known as Esther said...

Love this! I must admit I am guilty as well. I made a quilt for my cousin's new baby in July, I needed to finish it off. Then the kids spilled something on it, mold grew. I used Oxy Clean to get off the spots, only a few left. But it is February and the blanket still hasn't been finished. Oh and the blanket I started for my best friends son? Let's just say, he is now 13 and is blanketless.

Unknown said...

That looks great. Absolutely adorable!

Kim@TheBitterBall

Dawn said...

What a cute blanket! Thanks for stopping by today to visit Miss Emma's homecoming! I hope Kristen can get a chance to do a catch-up post one of these days!

Anonymous said...

It's so cute. I love the delicate edging!

Lindy said...

That is just lovely, Deb! That border sure makes it into something extra special!

Anonymous said...

This blanket is adorable!Awesome job:)