HOME ----ABOUT----AWARDS----CONTACT

Friday, February 1, 2008

Is it spring yet?

Tomorrow is Groundhog Day. Either the groundhog will see his shadow, meaning 6 more (miserable!) weeks of winter, or he won't, meaning an early spring. You can probably guess which I'm hoping for... :)

Hannah has been learning about Groundhog Day at school this week. She's mentioned it several times at home in the evenings and I've thought that it's cute that she's so excited about it.

I should have remembered from last September, that she tends to take things quite literally at times - back when she was quite upset that all of the leaves didn't immediately turn colors and fall off of the trees on the first day of fall...

Hannah was in the bathroom with me this morning while I was doing my hair. She was talking about tomorrow being Groundhog Day again, and how she's so hoping that the groundhog doesn't see his shadow. It wasn't until I heard her say, "because then everything will be green and flowers will come up again and it'll be warm outside!", that I realized why she's so excited.

Uh-oh.

So even though it was a crazy, busy, 'rush around attempting to get everyone out of the door on time' kind of morning, I stopped for a few minutes to explain to Hannah that even if the groundhog doesn't see his shadow tomorrow - it doesn't mean that we'll wake up to 'spring' on Sunday morning.

She was not exactly happy to hear that. And I felt a bit like an ogre having to disappoint her and take away yet another little tiny piece of her innocence...

After all - as I sit here staring out at the cold, windy, gray, snowy day, I'm pretty much wishing the same thing!

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network add to sk*rt

4 wonderful people said...:

Lindy said...

LOL!! Guess you better get out in that snow and start planting tulips if you have a cloudy day tomorrow! :D

BTW - Code malfunction at my place. I got carried away cutting and pasting links under one of the awards and didn't finish the code off correctly on three of them... It's fixed now. I should know better to than doing award posts at midnight : P You have a friendship award to pick up too : )

Anonymous said...

You were so smart to think of that! Some children do take things so literal, and think how disappointed she would have been when she woke up. You headed off a major sadness! Good thinking.

Oh, if only it really did happen that way. Wouldn't it be great, as I sit here listening to ice pelt off my windows.
xoxoxo

Kristi said...

I still don't get the whole groundhog thing. They must be talking about it at Noah's school too because he mentioned it in the car today.

Debbie @ Three Weddings said...

Diva came home with a groundhog hats she made. It was pretty funny looking! If I remember correctly, whether he sees his shadow or not, it's still about the same amount of time till spring, only about a 2 week difference.