HOME ----ABOUT----AWARDS----CONTACT

Monday, October 22, 2007

Heads or Tails #10 - Train


Well this week's word is Train. The first thing I thought about was this:

But that's not what I'm going to write about here. We seem to have managed to produce three children who are not Thomas addicts. Dora, yes - Thomas, no.

The first time I ever rode on a train was when I was in high school. My best friend (since preschool) had moved to the Chicago area after our freshman year and without talking a parent into driving me there and not being able to afford to fly to visit her, the best option was to take the train. I rode the train again a year or so later to visit another friend who had moved to Grand Rapids. Strangely the only time I've ever been in the train station in my current hometown was that trip - when it was my destination.

I've ridden the train several more times since then. In high school again to a concert in Ann Arbor (a-ha, remember them?). Once to Toronto for a training seminar for work - it was cheaper for my employer than paying my mileage or buying a plane ticket. I believe the last time was about 10 years ago or so when I took the train to Chicago on the way to visit friends in Wisconsin.

I like the train - it's a soothing ride that doesn't require you to pay attention to traffic or heck, even to stay awake. You can see interesting scenery (depending on where you're traveling to anyway!), read a book, and experience the trip in a way you can't by driving yourself. If you're not in a hurry or can't afford airfare, the train's not a bad option!


Check out other Heads or Tails posts at Skittles' Place.

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network add to sk*rt

10 wonderful people said...:

Heart of Rachel said...

My son adores Dora (Boots and Diego) too and he loves Thomas the Tank Engine.

I was still very young the last time I was on a train. We have metro rail transit (MRT) but I don't consider it as a real train. My son hasn't been on one yet but I'm sure he would be thrilled to have a chance to try it.

Anonymous said...

nice post, kids really have so much time to have with. have a great week!
mine is up now hope you got time.

Anonymous said...

those are some of the same reasons I like taking the train too. Great post.

Anonymous said...

My dad spent his career "working on the railroad" so trains are special to me. I have never actually taken a trip on one though. Go figure! Great post!

Rambler said...

The best part about the train journey are the wide windows, which gives almost a panoramic view of the surroundings.

bcmomtoo said...

Taking the train to a training seminar - ha!

I remember a-ha

We looked into traveling to the west coast by train - but were disappointed to learn that we would pass so much of the great scenery at night. Who schedules these things?

Misty DawnS said...

I enjoyed riding the train, but after you read my post this week... you'll think twice if you have a schedule to follow ;-)

BeccA's Buzz said...

I agree! The only troubles I found with it, is that sometimes the scenery in towns is not that great from the train. If you think about it, who wants to live by the train tracks and stations? So you get more sort of low income housing and thus the unkempt sceneries. But while you are our in the rural areas, it's great!

jenn said...

When I lived in NY, we would take the train into the city often. Since the scenery was not all that good, I could read the entire way. I loved it.
Happy Tuesday!

Barb said...

I always thought it would be nice to take a long train ride. Maybe someday I'll just do it. :)