HOME ----ABOUT----AWARDS----CONTACT

Friday, October 5, 2007

Mother and daughter similarities

I'm still so amazed every time I look at my children and see little parts of myself in them. Like how Abby has dark hair like mine and my ears, and how she and Becca both have my eyes.

Although Hannah probably looks the least like me physically, I recognize other traits of mine in her. Maybe that's why she's such a Mommy's girl... It's strange too that the child who looks the most like me (Abby) is the most like Ron in terms of personality and the child who looks like Ron (Hannah) is more similar to me (it's a bit early to tell with Becca yet - she very definitely looks more like Ron in appearance though).

One big similarity between Hannah and I is that she sucks her thumb, even still at almost 5 years old. I sucked mine for many years as a child also and ended up with the same overbite that Hannah is developing. And I'm sure that she will end up with braces, just as I did.

Hannah is on the smaller side and a bit immature for her age as well. I have to admit, I think she gets both of those things from me. She cries very easily and is a 'people pleaser', always eager to do the right thing and wanting to be liked by everyone. I was this way as a child too.

And Hannah eats almost exactly the same way that I did as a child - big on the breads and she hates fruit just like I do - she always has, even as a baby. I still don't eat much fruit even though I know I should. Abby and Becca love fruit, so it's offered to Hannah on a regular basis, but she just plain doesn't like it. It's hard for me to push it on her since I know exactly how she feels. :)

I see myself more in her than in my other two girls, which alternately thrills and worries me because I know some of those traits are ones that have caused me problems over the years. I hope that the social nature and ease in getting along with people that she gets from her father is enough to combat the shy and awkward traits that I have struggled with. Although her stubbornness may be an issue as she gets older too, and I think that comes from him as well. Certainly not from me... Nope, no possibility there, LOL. :)

I have no idea where her tendency toward the dramatic comes from since I hate to be the center of attention and she thrives on it. I just know this little girl will end up on the stage someday! And I'll be in the front row, applauding like crazy.

Because no matter how similar or different my daughters are from me or from my mother and her mother, they are each a unique, special, wonderful individual and I'm looking so forward to seeing who they each turn out to be.


This post was written as a submission for the

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network add to sk*rt

11 wonderful people said...:

Megan@SortaCrunchy said...

Loved this! I am constantly amazed at how alike and un-alike Dacey and I are. She looks strikingly like her father and acts like him - most of the time. She does have a flair for the dramatic which is very unlike both of us and which we both chalk up to our own Drama Queen sisters. :)

Wonderful reflection on your three little ladies!

Unknown said...

I find myself doing the same thing with my kids. I can't wait to see them blossom

Anonymous said...

This is how I feel about my kids. I am excited to see who they turn out to be, I just hope they choose to be good people.

Anonymous said...

I loved reading this! I really hope I can have a daughter one day. You are a very lucky lady to have three girls! (and they are lucky to have you as a mom!)

Anonymous said...

It is really wild (and sobering) to see my girls acting like me. HipChick, my 6 year old, looks almost exactly like I did, and it is striking to compare the pictures.

Anonymous said...

What an awesome post! I always sit back and look at my girls and compare them to me and Scott.

Anonymous said...

I only have sons, but I notice the same opposites. Dorian, my firstborn, looks like his dad, with brown eyes and darker hair, but his personality is 100% me! My second son is blue eyed and looks a lot like me, but he is totally laid back like his dad!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post! I could not have said it better. I too, find myself reflecting on my girls and the parts of them that are so much like me and the parts that are so much like David. I enjoy watching them grow and develop, seeing them turn into these beautiful souls. Even on the stressful days. Your post was so well written and really put it into words perfectly!!
XOXOX

Stephanie said...

What a great post. My family was very much the same. Even though I look most like my mom, I definately act most like my father. I used to tell my dad he couldn't get on to me, because grandma said he did it too :) Didn't usually work though.

I know when I was pregnant with Madi I was worked that she would come out with all of mine & her father's bad features. I was terrified about what she could look like. As it turned out, she instead seemed to get all the good physical attributes. Now that she is 9, I worry about which personailty traits she may have picked up on. I have learned I can't change who she is...all I can do is prepare her how to go about living with these "quirks"

Donetta said...

My kids are both adopted but I get so many strangers comment on how she is the spittin' image of her mother:)
and my son looks like his father.

Julie Arduini said...

My son looks like my husband but has my personality but hubbies talents and gifts he's developing into his own. My daughter looks a lot like me but has more of my husband's personality but definitely my love of chocolate! Great post, I enjoyed this!