HOME ----ABOUT----AWARDS----CONTACT

Monday, October 8, 2007

Heads or Tails #8 - Explore


Hmm, this week's topic is Explore. To be honest, the first thing that comes to my mind right now is this:


All three of my girls have been (in their own turn) huge Dora the Explorer fans. In the spirit of keeping up with (if not out-doing) her big sisters, Becca is a little Dora-holic right now.

She is finally getting over the 'separation anxiety' phase and hasn't been crying or clinging when I leave her at daycare or in the toddler room at church. She is starting to be brave enough to go out a little and explore on her own. Well, a little bit anyway - as long as Mommy is still in sight.

However, yesterday morning when I came to pick her up from the toddler room at church, she had discovered and was clutching a Dora board book. She was all ready to go home, as long as the book was in her little hands. The minute I tried taking it away, her feet were planted and she wasn't about to go anywhere without it.

Have you ever tried to convince a one-year-old to leave one of their favorite toys behind? Yeah, I thought so. You can probably imagine how the conversation went. Something like this:

Me - "Becca, sweetie, the book has to stay here. You can see it again when we come to church on Wednesday."

Becca - "NO!" while clutching said book to her chest with both arms.

Me - "Come on, sweetie, please leave the book here. It's not our book - it belongs to church."

Becca - "NO!" holding the book even tighter and turning away from my grasping hands trying to tug the book away from her.

Me (a bit sterner) - "Becca, I know you love this Dora book. But we have lots of other Dora books at home! You can look at them when we get home, but this book needs to stay here."

Becca (wailing) - "Nooooooo!" and trying to run away from me still clutching the book.

I did finally get her out of there without the book but it required a bit of brute force on my end to pry her hands off of it and entailed a lot of tears and squirming on her end, trying to convince me that her world would end if she had to leave the building without the Dora book.

However, by the time we got in the car and I put our Dora CD on for them to listen to on the way home, she seemed to have gotten over it. Hannah and Abby are beyond wanting to listen to Dora in the van but lately it's either been that or listening to Becca wail, "Dooorrraaa!" during the entire drive.

Yes, my child's name is Becca and she is obsessed with Dora the Explorer.

Check out other Heads or Tails posts at Skittles' Place.

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network add to sk*rt

20 wonderful people said...:

Anonymous said...

Dora wasn't here yet when my daughter was young. She's 12 we had the Molly and the big comfy couch phase, the rug rats phase and the Arthur phase.

Anonymous said...

What is it with Dora? Baby Bug loves her, too. She always has to have her Dora book for the car ride. She'll sit there and turn the pages pretending to read. Doesn't matter that she can't even talk yet let alone read! LOL!

jenn said...

Yes, Dora has been a big part of our house the past few years. I say house because it's not just tv, it's dolls and toys and blankets and EVERYTHING....Thankfully, my little one is slowly moving on.

Anonymous said...

What a great post! My lil one (2 years old) is a wiggles fanatic! Thanks for the smile!

Anonymous said...

aww, my three girls are into Dora right now. Our next door neighbor looks just like her so my daughters call her Dora :) Great post!

Mom Knows Everything said...

I did Dora too!

Berni said...

I have never seen Dora the Explorer it was Big Bird and the Raccoons I think

Anonymous said...

My son and I enjoyed watching Dora when he was really young ... nice memories. :)
wonderful post for this week's theme!

Heart of Rachel said...

Dora is well loved in our home too. My son is very fond of Dora, Boots, Map, Back Pack and Diego. :)

bcmomtoo said...

Dora didn't come along until after my kids were too old for that. They liked Barney, Rug Rats, Arthur, and, well I can't really remember. It's been a day or two.

Dallas Meow said...

She is so cute, though I haven't ever seen the show.
Mine are too old ....
perhaps one day when no one is here .....

Misty DawnS said...

My youngest niece prefers Diego over Dora. All the time, all you hear - "Diego!! Diego!!"

Linda said...

Reading your post makes me miss my grand children even more. My grand daughter loves Dora.

bundle-o-contradictions said...

Cute story. :)
Happy Tuesday!

Rambler said...

looks like even kids here in India are huge fans of it, my 4 year old niece is one big fan, being a big cartoon fan myself, this is so tempting me to catch the next episode :)

Anonymous said...

My son isn't into the kid shows. He only likes commercials! He used to love Curious George on PBS, but now he'd prefer the Nasonex bee commercial any day.

Barb said...

Hahaa.. I can picture this so well! My grandkids all love Dora, too. :)

Amanda said...

my girls love Dora too!

KC said...

LOL.. OH I have had many many of those no you have to leave it here, it's not our, fights over the years.

I like this heads or Tails thing I'll have to go check it out and see what it is all about and maybe join in next week.

Andree said...

I'm sorry that I'm chuckling. Not AT you, but with you and in empathy. I'm old enough (yikes) to do that now. I can see the whole thing in my mind. I've had to do stuff like that.

You'll chuckle too in 25 yrs!