HOME ----ABOUT----AWARDS----CONTACT

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Tackle It Tuesday #12 - No more soccer!

Tackle It Tuesday Meme

And we finally have a Tuesday with no soccer practice - hooray!! The fall season of soccer is over, so no more rushing to get kids picked up and fed and to the soccer field by 5:30pm. Phew!
Of course, the girls do now have church choir from 6:30 to 7:00 pm, but we've done that for a few years now and it's no big deal.

Today I'm actually tackling something at work. Although since Ron is home with Hannah all day again today (she's been sick for a couple of days with a fever, sore throat and cough) I'll probably have to tackle picking up the house when I get home - but to be fair and completely honest, the house was in much better shape than I expected when I got home yesterday and he'd even done the dishes (thanks, Ron!).

I've moved to a different department here at work and spent a lot of time yesterday getting my desk all situated and set up. It's a nicer setup than I had before in a lot of ways, especially since the room I'm in has floor to ceiling glass windows on one side. Going from absolutely no window or natural light to these awesome windows is very, very cool. And my desk even sits facing the windows too. I haven't had a desk with a window in over 3 years!

Today I need to tackle getting my computer set up with all of the software I need and configuring everything. I like this kind of tackle - must be the geek in me. :) I also need to start tackling a couple of projects here in my new department - I'm working with Streets and Sanitation (deals with street paving, garbage routes and recycling, snow plow routes and forestry) and also with Traffic Safety (deals with traffic signalization, street lights, signs and street painting). As a GIS Analyst, my job is to keep the map data updated, create and update maps as necessary, and work on adding new data layers to our GIS system. And act as default IT technician, helping with printer problems and other computer issues since I'm more accessible than the IT techs are.

I've been warned by several people that this is a difficult department to work with. They are notoriously skeptical of the IT department, having been promised solutions in the past that either didn't work as expected or never materialized at all. They've also had some turnover in this position - I'm the third GIS Analyst they've had in the past year. So it will be a challenge, but hopefully a good one.

So I sit here as the software installer for our GIS program runs... I'll try to get a photo later on today of my new desk and surroundings. So far my biggest problem has been finding someplace to hang my photo calendar with pictures of the girls on it - my cubicle panels are only 4 feet high - nice for being able to see over them out the window, but severely limiting my decorating space... :)

Here's a fuzzy photo of my new desk area - sorry, I had to take it with my cell phone, so the quality isn't the best... I'm loving the dual monitors though!


Ron will be taking Hannah in to the doctor this afternoon - she brought home a note last week that at least one case of strep throat has been going around in her class, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's what she's got. We're supposed to go spend the weekend with my friend Mary in 3 days though, so hopefully she'll be better by then and nobody else will have come down with it! Hannah will obviously not be going to choir tonight, so I'll be able to just take Abby and leave Becca home with Ron as well. Finally, a Tuesday with a bit of time to breathe!

What are you tackling this week? And check out other Tackle It Tuesday posts over at 5 Minutes for Mom!

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network add to sk*rt

4 wonderful people said...:

Beckaboo said...

Enjoy the day off of soccer!
And hope the tackle at work goes well!!

Blessings, Beckie :o)

Unknown said...

Wow, you brought back memories of working for corporate in the IT world. Challenge is good, I could not have survived in my position if everyone was not skeptical, I had an awesome boss but everyone else outside of our team had nothing good to say but they wanted control :-) The bitterness still seeps LOL.. I remember being in the office the windows were nice in the summer, get a heater it will get cold in the winter but nothing beats windows in the office! My secondTackle It Tuesday is up.
Have a great day

Anonymous said...

Enjoy day and I hope you get lots accomplished.

Thanks for visint my TT
http://laurawilliamsmusings.blogspot.com/2007/10/tackle-it-tuesday-canning-canning-and.html

Karen said...

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. But at least there is a window now!

Poor little Hannah. 'Tis the season for strep. Dh said he's seen a good bit of it at work. Hope she's feeling better soon.