HOME ----ABOUT----AWARDS----CONTACT

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

School photos - what do you think of these??

My kids don't always do the best in a 'formal' setting for taking pictures. They seem to always want to act silly or smile in a goofy way. They think they are 'posing' by clenching their teeth or smiling without showing teeth, tilting their heads at a funny angle and basically just hamming it up for the camera.

I'm always a bit apprehensive therefore when it comes time for school photos. Since I'm not there to see how it went, I'm never sure what to expect. We generally end up doing re-takes, for various reasons. This year I was especially taken by surprise when picture day was only a few days after school began, the weather was hot out so they were still wearing summer clothes that were in general either faded, getting too small or both. And they both insisted on wearing dresses which made it even more difficult to find something appropriate to wear to school (Abby had gym that day even) that was also ok enough for pictures.

Here's how they turned out:


I really have no idea how I feel about these! They aren't the best pictures I've ever seen of the girls, but not the worst by any means either. Neither of them is really smiling 'right' and to me, they just don't necessarily look like themselves.

You all have seen a lot of photos of Abby and Hannah that I've posted here... What do you think? Should we keep these or try for the re-takes?

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network add to sk*rt

12 wonderful people said...:

Mamarazzi said...

ok i have seen pics of your girls and they are WAY cuter than these school pics. IF you decide to do the retake, try and go to the school and supervise...that's what i would and will do if i dont like my daughter's pictures.

of course there is something to be said memory wise about a goofy picture...afterall we ALL have them. LOL

HolleeAnn

Girl Gone Wild - BibleStyle said...

I don't feel like I have the right to say one way or the other, but I have to admit I'm nervous about seeing OldMan's photos this year. We're suppose to get them back today. You just never know with him, either!

Crystal said...

I think they look great. I'm not familiar with their past pictures, but I do know from personal experience that sometimes the first picture is the one you will want to see in 10 years.

Wendy said...

I like the suggestion of going to supervise the retakes. These are good, but if you're not happy you sould give it a second try.

Anonymous said...

They're not superb but they're not bad either. I don't kow if I would chance retakes. You could end up with pictures that are not as good.
I can't get my kids to take good pictures either. They do the clench their teeth thing too.

Stephanie said...

Madi's fall picturs always stink, then her spring pictures (you know the ones NOT in the yearbook) are always great. See my recent Happy Post. I have come to accept her pictures for what they are, and I NEVER buy them from school. Instead, I take her to get the done professionally where I can supervise the backdrop, pose, and so much more.

Jean said...

I agree with Summer the second round may be worse. I really don't think their bad at all. You think it's tough for girls, my boys I think roll around in the dirt or like the oldest last year, had this thing with chewing on his shirt. Needless to say his smile and everything was great but I could see his chewed up shirt and it drove me nuts!

~Amber~ said...

Hannah's dress looks familiar (giggle). I would try for retakes personally.

Anonymous said...

In my world two sets of pictures coming back like this would be considered a smashing success. I think it's hard as a parent to ever be ecstatic about how school photos turn out... if you don't despise them in the way that you do your driver's license photo, then I would tend to leave well enough alone : P

(P.S. I think they look sweet!

SandyCarlson said...

My kid has been in charge of her hair on school picture day. Let me tell ya...it goes everywhere. And I love it. I remember being in second grade and deciding I would have one pony off to the side. It was a disaster but mom let it go. I look at that picture and remember I would have benefited from mom's help. That was decades ago. I still learn from it. And I laugh and love mom for letting me be a know-it-all. The wisdom! Your kids are beautiful, and I see that in these photos.

Deb said...

Ok, so it's 3 votes for re-takes so far... I'm not sure when they're doing them, but I think we may try for that - I'll have to see if these grow on me any more up until then.

Thanks for all of the input!! :)

Anonymous said...

Now that's just too sweet!