HOME ----ABOUT----AWARDS----CONTACT

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Works for me Wednesday #9 - Halloween candy

This week I'm going to share a tip that I'm hoping will work for us this year.

As our kids have started to get older and are out trick-or-treating longer and longer, they are starting to bring home way more candy every year. Not to mention the candy they get from Halloween parties at school, their bus drivers, daycare... The list goes on and the candy just keeps piling up! Last year we were literally still eating Halloween candy at Christmas and beyond and I think there's even still some that I need to dump out of their buckets that hasn't been touched in months. I know they've forgotten it's even in there.

Abby is definitely my 'Can I have a treat?' girl. She is constantly asking for a piece of candy whenever she knows she has some available. Every day, after every meal - she wants candy. The other two aren't as bad, but they definitely like their sweets as well. Up until now, we've shelled out the candy on a very limited basis - a piece here or there, never before meals or too close to bedtime. And going through the pile of treats (even with Ron and I 'helping') still takes forever.

So this year we're going to do it differently. I heard about this idea somewhere (can't remember where specifically) but I know it's going to help. We're going to pick a day soon after Halloween - probably this weekend since we'll be home. For that one day only, they can eat as much of their candy as they want. I know they'll be bouncing off the walls and going nuts from the sugar, but I think I can handle it for a day. Then, after that day is over, the candy is gone. I don't know what we'll do with what's left - probably take it into work to share or find someplace to donate it... I really don't care as long as it's out of my house!

I've heard (again, can't remember where - sorry!) that it's better for kids' teeth and in general to eat a lot of candy once or twice than to eat one or two pieces every day, and I agree with that. Besides the constant begging - it gets them into a bad habit of being used to and expecting treats every day. This way, they'll get the enjoyment of the candy, it'll be a big deal for them and then it'll be done - until next year.

It works for me! At least I'm hoping so! :)

Check out more Works For Me Wednesday at Rocks in My Dryer!

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network add to sk*rt

7 wonderful people said...:

Martie said...

Thank you for the tip!

Martie

Dimple Queen said...

Someone told be that they do this same thing just the other day. Actually they said that the kids can eat all they want on Halloween night. Then they let them choose a few pieces of their favorite before they go to bed. Then the next morning all the candy is gone accept for the few favorite pieces. They tell the kids that the tooth fairy came and took all the bad stuff so that their teeth wouldn't gather too many sugar bugs!

I though that was a cute one too.

Suzanne said...

You need a visit from the Candy Fairy.

The Duncan Proect said...

I got this tip from a friend and this year we are doing it. She lets them eat all they want on Halloween. Then at night the Great Pumpkin pays a visit to their house. He takes their candy but leaves behind a present. Mine are old enough to know about such "Fairies and Other Fictitious Characters" so I made them the offer. They jumped at it. She donates the candy to a shelter.

Nikki said...

I'll admit to bribing my kids. We will have a visit from the Halloween Fairy this year - the Tooth Fairy's first cousin. Kids (and hubby and I) will pick out our top 5 candies tonight when we get home. Then, we'll leave the rest on the front porch for the Halloween Fairy who will leave a small gift.

Ann said...

Great idea. I like the Tooth Fairy idea too--we definitely need to do something soon!

Anonymous said...

nice blog..