HOME ----ABOUT----AWARDS----CONTACT

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Works for me Wednesday #5 - Sleep and potty issues

This week is "Backwards Day"! Which means that instead of offering my own tips today, I get to ask for advice on things I need help and tips with.

Oh my - I'm liking this idea already! :)

So, here's what I'm looking for your assistance with... My two older girls (Abby-6 1/2, Hannah-4 1/2) share a bedroom and have for the past couple of years. Hannah generally has always gone to sleep right away once she goes to bed but Abby has always taken a lot longer to get to sleep. That was fine when they each had their own rooms, but now I'm noticing that Hannah's been really tired lately and I think that Abby's been keeping her awake. They go to bed at the same time - I thought about putting Hannah to bed before Abby so that Hannah has a chance to fall asleep before Abby comes to bed, but I can't think of a way to do it that won't make it seem like Hannah's getting punished. And I can't let Abby just stay up a bit later because she really needs the sleep, especially since she doesn't fall asleep immediately anyway. Does anyone have any ideas that might help?

I don't know if we're supposed to ask more than one question, but I'm going to anyway, because I really need some major help with this next one.

I'm also looking for any ideas that might help Hannah to stay dry. She had another accident today... She's never been consistently dry for more than a week or two since she potty trained two years ago. We've tried incentives, charts, punishments, and everything else I can think of. We had tests done last week to see if it's a physical problem, but haven't gotten the results back yet. I'm worried that there will be nothing physically wrong and if so, I'm absolutely stumped on what to try next. It's probably at least partly a control issue on her part and also maybe tied to her being tired, but there's nothing consistent about when or where she wets her pants. She does go to the bathroom often during the day and some days she stays dry just fine. But on other days she'll have one, or even two or three accidents. Sometimes even within a half hour after she's gone to the bathroom. Does anyone have anything that worked for their stubborn potty-trainers?

Thank you in advance for all of your help and hopefully I can return the favor!

Check out more Works For Me Wednesday at Rocks in My Dryer!

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network add to sk*rt

2 wonderful people said...:

Amy said...

No ideas for the first question, but something to think about for the second: Does your daughter have any food allergies? I know milk allergies, especially, are commonly correlated with nighttime accidents.

Momma Bean said...

I really have no idea how to answer these, as I have a couple of two year olds and I just prowl around blogs looking for words of wisdom from other mothers, so I don't make too much of a mess of things!

On that note, Maggie has always slept more than Audrey and she just catches up on an extra hour or so either in the morning or during a nap.