HOME ----ABOUT----AWARDS----CONTACT

Friday, December 14, 2007

Aloha Friday #12

 alohafriday5

It's Friday again!  My favorite day of the week.  :)

Here's my question for this week's Aloha Friday. 

The other day at work, someone asked me a question. He'd  been sitting at his computer and just happened to really look at all of the cables and cords coming out of it. He noticed that a lot of the cords have a round cylinder thing near the end and he realized that he had no idea what it is or why it's on there.  So he asked me, thinking of course that as the resident 'IT' person I would probably know.

I have no clue. I've tried searching on the Internet, but without knowing what they're  called, I get lots of information on how, where and from whom to buy cables and cords and lots of pretty pictures of 7,403 different kinds of cables - but no answer to the question.  So, I turn to you, the  blogosphere, to help me answer this, because it's going to drive me crazy until I know. I have a few guesses (some kind of surge protection? A 'terminator' of some type? Electrical jargon is not something I'm too up on) but really would like to amaze this guy with the correct answer. Somebody out there has to know, right?  :)

So,

DVIDDMM15

 

Be sure to check out An Island Life for other fun Aloha Friday questions and to play along!

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network add to sk*rt

12 wonderful people said...:

Anonymous said...

Well...I have no idea, so I went to my husband who usually knows all that stuff, but he could only guess. Here's what he thinks. It's like a resister to keep the power from being too strong. Like maybe reducing 110 to 12 volt. Now don't go quoting me, cuz it's just a guess. :)Looking forward to seeing what others say.

Charlotte (Life's a Charm!) said...

i don't know! i will help you research though ...

happy holidays!

Memarie Lane said...

I think those are just for gripping purposes?

Dee said...

Why does he want to know? LOLOLOL

Anonymous said...

I have absolutely no idea. I don't I've even noticed them before. Sorry!

Kailani
An Island Life

Unknown said...

Haven't a clue. Sorry!

It's one of life's little mysteries! My husband's techy, I'll have to ask if and find out if he knows.

Christine@ AreWeThereYetMom

Melanie said...

Not a clue. I'm going to ask my hubby and my dad. They usually know that kind of stuff.

bcmomtoo said...

My husband says they are some type of filter. They keep stuff from going from the computer to the monitor that would be bad for and interfere with the monitor, and vice versa. And also probably help regulate the power.

He doesn't know this from any quotable source. It's just what he thinks. He's good with cables, so I'll believe him.

Unknown said...

WOW!! I have never thought about this before! I haven't a clue what they are for!

Anonymous said...

According to my husband, it is where the wires of the printers readjust. They all kind of meet there and gather and adjust before they get to the computer....But he thinks he knows it all....
XOXO

Karen said...

Here's the answer:
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question352.htm

Deb said...

Awesome - thank you everyone, and thank you to Karen, that's a great site! Now I get to act like I know what I'm talking about so I can give an answer. Whether or not knowing the answer to this question makes a huge impact on his life? I have no idea, LOL...

Thanks for your help!