HOME ----ABOUT----AWARDS----CONTACT

Sunday, December 23, 2007

My "baby's" eyes

The other night Becca woke up at midnight and I spent some time snuggling with her in the recliner. Cradling her as I used to do when she was a tiny baby in the middle of the night while she would nurse, I gazed into her eyes by the dim light of the Christmas tree, and I remembered...

Tiny baby eyes fixed on mine while greedily sucking away at breast or bottle...

Sleepy baby eyes blinking heavily and then slowly closing as she fell into slumber...

Scrunched up, mad baby eyes while wailing for me to pick her up and feed her...

Sparkling baby eyes as she learned to smile and then to laugh...

Sad baby eyes filled with tears as she reached out for me the first day that I dropped her off at daycare...

Mischevious baby eyes peeking to see if I was watching while she crawled away to find something fun to play with or climb on...

Proud baby eyes on a little girl learning to walk - and run...

Flashing, angry baby eyes as she crossed her arms and stomped her little foot when I couldn't understand what she it was that she was asking for...

But now, not so much 'baby' eyes anymore as I looked into my toddler's eyes that night. She reached out with her small (but not tiny!) hands and gently cupped my face between them.

"Mommy!"

"Yes, Becca-boo, Mommy."

She sighed contentedly and patted my cheek. I rested my head against hers as she closed her eyes and gently drifted back off to sleep.

My eyes filled with tears, as I realized just how much my life has changed since the first time I looked into her eyes - my third, and possibly my last, baby.

Good-night, sweetheart, Mommy loves you.

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network add to sk*rt

8 wonderful people said...:

Kerry said...

Oh, I've had some moments like this lately! So precious.

Congrats on winning the MWS new Christmas cd at my blog! Please send me your mailing address to andbabymakesfour@gmail.com and I'll get it out to you! :)

Anonymous said...

I sure do miss those moments. I tell ya...they go by way too quickly.

Merry Christmas, Deb! :)

~Amber~ said...

*Sniff* HUGS!

Anonymous said...

So beautifully put....I feel this way often. Sometimes when Hannah is sleeping, I stroke her face and still see the baby in her. It is so bittersweet.
XOXOX

Corey~living and loving said...

Okay Deb....You are so fired. I did not need these tears tonight. argh.....



:) :) :) but I love you anyhow.

Merry Christmas Mama!

MomOf4 said...

This brought tears to my eyes. It is bitter sweet as they grow up, huh? Merry Christmas!!

bcmomtoo said...

Oh, that's so sweet. They grow up so fast! I love seeing how you appreciate every moment.

Daisy said...

Some day, they'll be the eyes of a young woman. And you'll love them every bit as much as you do now.