HOME ----ABOUT----AWARDS----CONTACT

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Be my baby

Well, it's happened. I had a feeling it might someday.

My kids have been called 'babies' because they aren't allowed to leave our yard without permission or to ride their scooters in the street when I'm not out there with them.

Sigh.

Remember 'J'? Well tonight Abby and Hannah were riding their scooters in the driveway when he and another boy he hangs around with rode their scooters up and wanted the girls to go riding with them. And when Abby and Hannah said they couldn't, the boys called them 'babies' and another name that Hannah said was 'bad' but wouldn't tell me.

Bigger sigh.

I should say that I am VERY proud of my girls for sticking to the rules, even when being made fun of. But my heart is breaking for them as well because I know very well how it feels to be taunted and teased. And it's something I hoped they would never have to experience.

But when it comes down to safety versus fitting in... I know that safety has to win because having my kids teased but safe is better than the alternative. And I have good reason to not trust them crossing the street (I've seen each of them say 'no cars' after barely glancing both ways, and when a car is clearly in sight). And I know that it's good for them to learn through experiences like this. And a good opportunity to talk to them about how to handle being called names.

Because there are a lot worse names they could be called than 'baby'. Especially since it's true - they are both still my babies. And they always will be.

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network add to sk*rt

4 wonderful people said...:

Megan@SortaCrunchy said...

I can remember being called a "baby" because my parents wouldn't let me watch PG-13 movies. It was quite upsetting then, but of course I totally get it now!

You are doing a great job of protecting your sweet girls.

Anonymous said...

Oh Deb I know how you feel. Just yesterday Count Dooku told me a little girl at school told him she didn't like him anymore. My heart broke for him. I wish we could prevent our children from ever having to feel the pain of being rediculed or unliked.

Karen said...

dang! why do kids have to be so mean to one another. your kids should be very proud for sticking to the rules! that won't be the first time they will be challenged in life trying to decide right from wrong. it's so easy (at the time) to choose what is wrong, but the consequences are almost never pretty!
WTG, girls! And WTG, Deb!

Corey~living and loving said...

sigh....why are people so mean to eachother. ARGHHHHH it gets me all riled up.
I am sorry that happened to your girls, but I am really glad to hear that safety is the main focus. As mother's it is our job to keep them safe.
hugs for you and your girls.