HOME ----ABOUT----AWARDS----CONTACT

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #10 - Things I hate about our house


Thirteen Things that drive me nuts about our house!

I've been watching too much HGTV, I think. All of the things that I would love to fix/renovate/improve around here but can't afford to do so are driving me nuts... So since I can't actually do any of these right now, consider this my wish list. :) And to be fair, stay tuned next week for my list of thirteen things that I love about our house.
  1. Master bedroom - I don't know if it's the size (too small) or the number of doorways (2), closet doors (2) and windows (2), but it's almost impossible to fit everything that we need to in here. One of these days, I'd also love having a separate master bathroom.

  2. White Carpet - The previous owners installed new carpeting in the living room and hallway before we bought the house. Unfortunately it was cheap carpet - and it's white! Or rather it was white. Now it's kind of a gray-ish with lots of stains and spots. But there's probably not much point in replacing it until the kids are older anyway.

  3. Dark wood trim - Our house was built in the 1970's and you can really tell. All of the trim, interior doors, closet doors and windows are all a dark wood trim. It makes it look dark and kind of grim in here.

  4. Kitchen arrangement - Our kitchen isn't huge, but really the size doesn't bother me. But the way it's laid out does. There's almost no good place to put a table and chairs since you have to walk around them to get from the kitchen to the rest of the house. And we don't have a separate dining room, so the table has to go in the kitchen. I'd also love a breakfast bar or island - not to mention more cupboard and counter space.

  5. Kitchen cupboards/counter - As long as we're on a kitchen theme... Cheap, dark (of course!) wood cabinets and old, yellowed laminate countertops. And so much of the cupboard space that we have is wasted just because the cabinets weren't designed very efficiently.

  6. Upstairs bathroom - Hmm, where to start... Maybe with the powder blue fixtures (tub, toilet and sink)? Or the textured vanity top that traps dirt in all the little crevices... Or the old, cracked linoleum. The whole bathroom needs to be torn out and re-done. Someday.

  7. Bedrooms - The other two bedrooms aren't tiny. Unless you've got two kids sharing one of them, and then it gets really cramped. And although the house is 'technically' a four-bedroom, the fourth 'bedroom' is in the basement, extremely narrow and also happens to be the laundry room.

  8. Back deck - The decks in our neighborhood were basically thrown on at the last minute by the original developer of the neighborhood. Most of our neighbors have replaced them with well-built, larger ones. Ours is not safe (not bolted to the house), the railing openings are way too large to be safe for kids, and not large enough to really be usable. This is one of our top priority projects when we someday get the money to rebuild it.

  9. Backyard - This is kind of hard to explain. The previous owners took very little care of the yard and landscaping. We have a huge pile of rocks under our deck that needs to be disposed of. We also have a huge sandbox that we are planning to tear out in order to reclaim most of the flat portion of the yard (there's a hill that takes up most of it). We've started working on it, just a little at a time.

  10. Back door - We don't have much room for coats, shoes, backpacks, etc. And it's right where the basement steps are so I always worry that someone will get accidentally pushed down while trying to squeeze past. I would so love a 'mud room'...

  11. Basement - We refinished a good portion of it a couple of years ago. The layout (furnace in the middle of the basement) drives Ron nuts though and it's definitely not very practical. The bathroom down there is almost unusable and needs to be completely re-done. We'd love to tear it all out, relocate the furnace and start over someday, but that's pretty much just a pipe dream.

  12. Efficiency - Everything is fairly old, from appliances to windows. Someday I'd love to replace with energy efficient ones.

  13. Sidewalks - Or rather the lack of them. I so wish we had sidewalks so the kids didn't have to play and ride in the street.
Yes, I get frustrated with these things about our house. But they are all fairly minor issues and definitely fixable - someday when we can afford to. Next week I'll balance this out with the things I love about our house!


Links to other Thursday Thirteens!





Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!


Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network add to sk*rt

21 wonderful people said...:

Anonymous said...

White carpet (or anything white for that matter) will never work if we have kids!! That would drive me crazy too.

Kate Davies said...

I feel your pain. :) Our house is almost 100 years old, but it was remodeled in 1974, so it has a lot of the same features you mentioned. (Cheap dark panels/cupboards in the kitchen? check...)

Hang in there! And happy TT!

Joyismygoal said...

yes all of the above and we are not spring chickens any longer

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

Our house had pale grey carpet over whole house (and very stained) when we moved in ... only for a week.

Our house is okay only 10 yrs young but not enough storage space for our chaos, clutter and toys for twin 1 yr olds.

Looking forward to hearing the things you love.

jenn said...

I wish I could do your list at my house! Someday, when I win the lottery...
Happy TT!

Mom not Mum (Sandy) said...

LOL Great list I had planned ondoing a picture TT of things I won't miss in my house when I leave but decided to save the idea to when I get closer to moving. And thanks for including your laundry room - I jumped up and ran to put stuff in the dryer I had forgotten about and then came and finished the list. LOL Blogs ARE good for something.

SusieJ said...

I made the same mistake with very light carpet. I have lots of rugs down to cover where they walk.

Head Gaggler said...

Yup I have a list like that too. Not enough time or money!

Believer in Balance said...

I know what you mean about the previous owners installing cheap, light colored carpet. What were they thinking? I did replace it though with a darker, durable carpet. I feel much better now! And as you know, I too have three girls!

Anonymous said...

I hear ya, girlfriend. I try to focus on the good things as well! Happy TT!

Jean said...

You almost described my house. Except instead of just dark baseboards we have all dark wood panneling in the living room/dining room. Talk about a dungeon. Don't even get me started on the ugly kitchen that is small and has retro green flowerdy wall paper.

Irene said...

Well, white carpet and dark wood?I don't blame you.
Perhaps replacing the carpet with a darker one might be a sanity saver until the kids grow up. Can you paint the kitchen cabinets? To me the backyard would be a priority, too. If you can't fix properly the inside yet, have a nice place to relax outside!
Wishing you the house of your dreams!

Jennifer said...

LOL, we're on the same topic today ~ sort of!! Mine is about what I want in my next house!!
Check it out if you get a chance.

Denise Patrick said...

Oh, Lordy, white carpet!! That's terrible - especially with kids. I hope you're able to make some changes soon.

Thanks for visiting my TT!

Anonymous said...

sounds like it is time for Ty Pennington to show up with an extreme makeover!

Thea @ It's Me Vs. Me said...

While my list may not look like yours...TRUST ME! I have a list, too!! LOL. This is a great idea!

Cynthia said...

White carpet is tough...We just bought a place but haven't closed, I don't even want to think about what needs to be done!

KC said...

I don't even want to think about everything that I would like to do around here..
White carpet with kids is never a good thing, though I'm sure it wouldn't look white after a week or two here at my place, I would just be able to pass it off as brown LOL
Great T13

Anonymous said...

White carpet is a ridiculous indulgence. We know someoene who has white carpet throughout and makes his guests take their shoes off at the front door.

I was forbidden to play in sandboxes as a child. With good reason -- they are usually just oversize cat litter trays!

Rebecca said...

I like watching home improvement shows too. And I'm a renter, so trust me, I feel the frustrations too! Happy TT13! :P

Anonymous said...

Oh I feel your pain!! We have been slowly working on updating our old house. There are surprises around every corner!!