HOME ----ABOUT----AWARDS----CONTACT

Friday, January 18, 2008

Aloha Friday #16

It's Friday again - my favorite day of the week! :) And even better - my mom is coming into town this afternoon to spend the weekend with us and it's a 3-day weekend!

So here is this week's question:

How are you planning to celebrate, commemorate or acknowledge Martin Luther King, Jr. Day on Monday?

To be honest, we won't be doing much - Monday also happens to be Becca's 2nd birthday, so we'll be focused on that. I am very happy to have the day off without having to use a vacation day for it. The girls have been learning about Dr. King at school - we talked about him at dinner the other night on his 'real' birthday (something the girls knew and I didn't!), and we'll spend some time talking about him some more on Monday. I want to make sure that the girls know why they have the day off from school and how important it is to honor Martin Luther King, Jr. But that's probably about as much as we're going to do this year.

Check out An Island Life to see more Aloha Friday questions or to play along!

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network add to sk*rt

15 wonderful people said...:

Unknown said...

Well, now that I'm fortunate enough not to have to work, I'm sad to say, it'll just be another day.

But when I was working, I loved having that day off. Actually, I loved having every day possible off. :)

Heart of Rachel said...

Sorry, we don't celebrate it here.

Advance Happy Birthday to Becca. Hope she'll have a wonderful celebration.

United Studies said...

It is just another day for us....Peter has to work. I'll be doing housework. :-)

Anonymous said...

I will be babysitting...but I will take a moment to remember him.

Unknown said...

Nothing special planned. There is a local parade in his honor so I'll watch the highlights.

Kristi said...

Noah doesn't have the day off of school so we'll just be doing the same as always.

Write From Karen said...

Nothing here, Deb. The kids are out of school, of course, and we'll just hang out and do our 'thang.' lol

We'll most likely have lunch with the hubs - who has been INSANELY busy lately!

Write From Karen

Emily said...

It is nice to hear that you talk to your kids about why they have the day off. Maybe I will be inspired and talk to mine a little about him to. It is important for them to know those who have made a difference in the world.

Cecily R said...

Is it bad that we'll probably be sledding? I promise to think of him and all that he did, but I can't imagine that a celebration of any sort will happen...unless you count the kids celebrating being out of school.

Happy Birthday to Becca!

Anonymous said...

Since the kids are out from school, we'll probably head on over to the beach.

Dee said...

it's not a big thing here in our house except the kids get a 4 day weekend. Kids have different celebrations in school and learn all about who he was.

Anonymous said...

The kids are out of school and have been asking me all week to take them to Chuck E. Cheese. Sounds like a plan to me.

Karen said...

I'm going to say this slowly so it all sinks in.....
Don't.EVER.let.the.kids.know.they.know.something.you.don't.know.

I can't stress this enough.

Anonymous said...

We won't really "celebrate" but we will probably talk about MLK and what he did with his life.

Anonymous said...

Since I'm posting this late I will tell you we spent our day - we all felt a bit under the weather because there is a winter storm brewing somewhere and heading this way - i had a really bad headache and the cold is affecting my husband's arthritis pretty bad. other than that we caught up on stuff we dvr'd for the past month. it was a nice quiet day had by all. normally i "celelbrate" this day no differently than washington's birhtday or lincoln's birthday...