HOME ----ABOUT----AWARDS----CONTACT

Monday, January 7, 2008

Heads or Tails #18 - Old

This week's topic is either 'old' (heads) or 'new' (tails). I chose to go with Old, mainly because I was stumped on anything 'new'. :)

Lately, I've been feeling old. Not so much physically - although the gray in my hair would beg to differ about that. No, more in the case of my age compared to other parents that I know or see around. I mean, 30 really wasn't so old to start having children, was it? It seems like most of the parents of the girls' classmates are in their 20's or early 30's though and I'm staring 40 in the face a few years hence. When Abby started preschool a few years ago, I was excited about the opportunity for her to meet new kids and for me to meet other parents in the area. But I didn't seem to have anything in common with most of them - and a few looked barely out of their teens. We just couldn't relate to each other. It's been mostly the same since, now with the girls in 'real' school. And I'm sure it'll be the same when Becca is old enough to start preschool as well. After all, I'll be even older by then too. And if we decide at some point to have a 4th child - I'll probably be old enough to be a parent to his or her classmates' parents by the time our last one starts preschool.

It's not that I'm not used to this though. My parents were older when I was growing up too - my mom was my current age (37) when I was born, and my dad was 41. I had a co-worker several years ago - a lady in her 50's, whose parents were the same ages as mine. My dad is close to 80 now and my mom will be 75 this year. I am so glad that they are both still in good health and hopefully my girls will have many years with them to come, but they are both getting old enough that I worry about something happening to them.

I wonder how old I'll be when I become a grandmother some day. I didn't present my mom with her first grandchild until she was 67 years old. Not that I want any of my girls to start their families too young or anything, but I do hope not to have to wait quite as long!

Check out other Heads or Tails posts at Skittles' Place.

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network add to sk*rt

14 wonderful people said...:

Anonymous said...

We started our family at 30 too. Remember the friends you have that all had kids in their 20's? Think how YOUNG you will feel when you still have kids at home and they are grandparents : D Always puts a smile on my face when I start down that OLD path : )

Hootin Anni said...

My mom was 37 when I was born too...but I always felt privileged to have an 'older' parent....they were much wiser than my friends' parents back when I was a youngster.

LOL --I have to laugh, sorry, but if you think you're old and getting gray....wait 20+ years. Let's just say I'm a generation older than you...my YOUNGEST child is 36. LOL

An excellent Heads or tails. Won't you join me...mine's on 'old' too.

jenn said...

I had my baby at 29, and when I go to her kindergarten class, I am usually the oldest parent, and I'm only 35! Especially here in the south, girls are having babies young.

smarmoofus said...

Aieeee! You give me hope! I'm 34, single, and I desperately want a child; but my hopes of that happening were dashed when my first "real" boyfriend of any duration (eighteen months of bliss) suddenly broke up with me without warning. But if I can find someone worthy enough to contribute to My Precious Child's genetic composition in the next year or two, there's still a chance I can have a healthy bundle. Then I can be older than you with a child in preschool! So there! :P (It's a contest?)

I'm up, too.

Barb said...

I had my first child when I was 17.. and I was way too young!!! (Although I *thought* I was old and all-knowing at the time.)

I think more and more people are waiting longer to have children now. My aforementioned first child and his wife are in their early 30's now and still deciding if they want to have children or not.

Unknown said...

We started our little family when I was 32. Now I´m pregnant again - and I´ll be 34 on the day the baby will be born.

You are definitely not old, Deb =)

Linda said...

So many women are waiting later in life to start their family. You are not alone. My daughter is 35 and is expecting #4. My son is 37 and he just got married for the first time in November.

Rambler said...

I guess its never late to enjoy parenthood, age atleast here is just a number :)

hey belated wishes on the new year.

bcmomtoo said...

I think you just have to believe that having young ones in the house will keep you young.

I had to laugh at Barb's comment:
(Although I *thought* I was old and all-knowing at the time.) - because I have a 17-year-old daughter who thinks just that!

Unknown said...

I think there are good things and bad things about having children regardless of age.

I'm glad that I had my son at 23. Physically, I had the energy & stamina to chase a toddler around.

Financially, it would have been better to have him now (35), LOL.

Bloggers said...

I had my first 2 kids when I was really young and I now have a 16 month old at the ripe age of 36 and I love it. I feel so guilty about the hell my 2 oldest went through with no money and no patience! I am just a better mom now.

Misty DawnS said...

I'm 32 with no children of my own... that is because my husband is 44 (his third child will be 18 this year). He doesn't want to be an old man at his child's graduation, so he doesn't want to 'start over' now. I've accepted it, but it still depresses me sometimes.

You are not old, my friend. Be proud and happy and cherish what you have :-)

Anonymous said...

You know, when I was about your age, I went through the same thing of feeling old...contemplating the future, etc., etc. Oddly enough, it all went away when I turned 40. For some reason, that was the best time of my life! :) Now I'm approaching 46 and having similar feelings again! LOL! Maybe it'll all work out at 50! :)

BeccA's Buzz said...

I'm 34 and never married and hoping that I'm not too 'old' to be a momma still. I never planned it that way, just have to take what comes that's all!
:)