HOME ----ABOUT----AWARDS----CONTACT

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Four days at home

I think it's a record. I can't remember the last time that we went so long without leaving the house. Between extremely cold temperatures, snow, and sickness, well - it's just been a very long week so far.

So, to back up...

My mom got here on Friday night and we had an enjoyable day sticking around home on Saturday. Ron had to work, so we hung out here with the girls. No big deal.

We missed church on Sunday morning - the girls slept in and I wasn't about to wake them up if I didn't have to. I had a lot to do before Becca's party in the afternoon anyway. I did actually leave the house alone to run and pick up her cake and a few grocery necessities.

Becca's party went well, even considering that only Kristi's family were able to make it. The kids all played together and had a good time, we all managed to finish off most of the cake just by ourselves, and Becca had fun even if she didn't necessarily understand what the fuss was all about.

She did like the presents though.

Beccas2ndBdayParty_011

Beccas2ndBdayParty_014

And the cake. Of course, that went over well with everyone. :) Daddy helped her to blow the candles out...

Beccas2ndBdayParty_028Beccas2ndBdayParty_030

And then everyone dug in...

Beccas2ndBdayParty_032Beccas2ndBdayParty_033

Monday was pretty uneventful as well, at least at first. Mom and I thought about trying to take the kids out somewhere, but it was just so darn cold out... Ron had to work but he was hoping to make it home in time for dinner - we were going out to eat, along with Ron's parents and his sister Terri and her daughter Dakota. We ended up meeting Ron at the restaurant. Everything went well until Hannah started complaining that her stomach hurt.

Now let me say that Hannah complains of stomach aches a lot. So this was nothing new. Which is why we didn't take her too seriously at first. I started realizing that something really was wrong about 30 seconds before she started throwing up. Thankfully it was before we'd gotten our food, and Abby was wearing 2 layers of shirts, so we were able to change Hannah into one of them after we got everything cleaned up. I missed the restaurant staff singing Happy Birthday to Becca, but she did enjoy the brownie that she got:

Beccas2ndBday_001

After we got home, Becca opened her presents from us. I think they were a hit.

Beccas2ndBday_005

Beccas2ndBday_019

Beccas2ndBday_023Beccas2ndBday_015Beccas2ndBday_013Beccas2ndBday_008Beccas2ndBday_009

As you can see, Hannah appeared to be feeling better. It was late, so we got the kids off to bed. I was planning on keeping Hannah home on Tuesday, and Mom offered to stay an extra day to help.

This turned out to be a very, very good thing.

Especially since we had a somewhat massive snowstorm on Monday night and schools ended up being canceled on Tuesday.

And then I threw up while taking my shower that morning.

I think that yesterday was probably the most miserable day that I've spent in a really long time. Hannah was feeling better, but not completely up to par. Abby and Becca felt fine and were going a bit stir crazy after being cooped up in the house, yet again.

And I couldn't move off of the couch. Literally. Like I told Ron when he got home late last night - the fact that I was home all day yet didn't even turn the computer on, much less post or read anything (not even to check e-mail!) should say something about how completely awful I felt.

I am so thankful that Mom was here, because I don't know how I could've managed otherwise. She played with the girls, fed them, and kept them from bothering me (too much). It was a good thing that they had new toys to play with - Becca thankfully didn't seem to mind sharing.

And oh yes, the television. Say what you will about limiting TV time - there are definitely occasions when it comes in handy. By the end of the day, Becca was bringing me the remote and putting it in my hand every time a program ended, demanding 'Dora!'... And Hannah threw a major fit last night before bed when I wouldn't turn on 'kid TV' one last time.

We're starting TV detox today. :)

Actually, today hasn't been half bad so far. The girls went off to school like usual, I took Mom to the bus station this morning and then dropped Becca off at daycare.

And then I came home. And slept the entire morning and part of the afternoon. And I ate something for the first time in over 24 hours and it's even stayed down. I think I'm on the road to recovery. Which is a good thing - I have to pick up the girls in 15 minutes from daycare, Ron's not home yet, and Mom isn't here anymore. I have a trashed house, over 600 items to read in my feed reader, and I've missed 2 days of work.

But tomorrow should be back to our regularly scheduled programming.

(Hmm, looks like I need to detox myself from the TV as well!)

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network add to sk*rt

6 wonderful people said...:

Corey~living and loving said...

oh my goodness.....I am sooooooooooooooo crossing my fingers that no one else gets sick. eeeekkkkkk that is all you need!

get well Deb....and feel free to "mark all as read" on my blog. I know what it is like to try to ge caught up.

Jean said...

I myself am also trying to recover from some icky cold. Hope all is well now. Great blessings that your mom was there to save the day.

Mom Knows Everything said...

I hope you all feel better soon. I love the Backyardigans cake.

Kristi said...

OKay...you definitely win for the most miserable sickness. I think it is worse when we get sick because mommas are supposed to be invincible and the kids just don't get it. What a bad day for a snow day :(

KC said...

I'm glad Becca had a good birthday and that your mom was there with you.. but I'm so sorry you and Hannah were sick.. Hope everyone stays well.
There should be some sort of law that mommies can't get sick..

Get well soon.

Anonymous said...

ooww.. very beautiful kid..

happy birth day becca, i love your bday present for my nephew.. lol