HOME ----ABOUT----AWARDS----CONTACT

Monday, January 28, 2008

Heads or Tails #20 - Who would you like to meet and why?

It must be the week for this question. Karen asked a similar question yesterday morning as well, and as you can see from my answer there - I really didn't have a clear-cut idea of what to say then. I've thought about it more since, and here's what I've come up with.

When I think about who I would really like to meet, several people do come to mind. I would love to have met my grandparents - my mom's parents both died before I was born and my dad's parents died when I was very young, so I have very few memories of them.

But when I really thought about it, I realized that who I would most like to meet are two people that I actually know quite well.

Let me explain... I've mentioned before that my parents were on the older side when I was born - my mom was 37 (my age!) and my dad was 41. So my memories of my parents basically start when they were in their 40's. I know how they 'turned out', but I would love to go back and 'meet' them when they were younger. To see my mom as a single teacher living with and taking care of her father and younger brother in the 60's. To see my dad with his first wife and family - from what I've heard and understand, he was a completely different father to my younger brother and I than he was to our older half-siblings. An improved one to be sure, but I still am curious about how and who he was back then.

Maybe I'm brought to curiosity about my parents' younger days by thinking about how my kids will never know or 'meet' the younger, single me - the person I was back in my 20's before I met Ron and started a family. Not that I was so much more of a terrific person back then necessarily, but it does seem strange to think that my kids will only know the 'me' of now and in the future.

Check out other Heads or Tails posts at Skittles' Place. And if you decide to play along for the first time this week, don't forget to mention that I referred you! :)

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network add to sk*rt

15 wonderful people said...:

Melissa said...

I know how you mean about wanting to know your parents. I am the youngest of 6 and my parents were older when they had me and now that I am older and able to really enjoy them they are retired and traveling the world and now live in India so I don't see them at all. I know them and love them, but wish I had more time to really get to know them...esepsally now that I am older and can really enjoy them....good post!

Anonymous said...

haha - I know what you mean about your kids only knowing you from this point forward. I remember when I was five, my great grandpa pointed to a picture on his wall of a young woman and asked me who was in it. I don't remember who I guessed or if I made any guesses. He told me it was my grandma and my reaction was, "No it isn't, my grandma isn't that young".

Pennies In My Pocket said...

Wow! I've been saying this since I was little!!! My mom was also 37 when I was born and my dad was 44. I've always wanted to be a fly on the wall a day in their younger lives. Reading your post was like someone reading my mind!

~melody~

Anonymous said...

I think I would like to meet Patrick Dempsey to see if he really is that good looking in person.

Unknown said...

Excellent choices, Deb -
I´d love to meet my young parents... but I´m not sure if I´d like my kids to get to know my younger me *wink*

Happy Tuesday!

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful take on this weeks theme--I love it! I think I would have loved to have known my parents too.

Happy Tuesday!

Barb said...

It's a shame that we, most of us anyway, only get to know our grandparents when we are too young to really, really appreciate them.

I lost my dad when I was ten, and I sure wish I had had longer with him to get to know him. I know me and my mom have transcended the mother/daughter relationship and become friends. It would have been nice to be have been given the same opportunity with him.

I'm with Sanni on the part about my kids knowing the younger me. :)
-----
The next time we have advance notice of heading your way we will most definitely have to make plans to meet.

Rambler said...

meeting our parents when they are younger, now that sounds great.. wish we could do that

Anonymous said...

Yes i guess its really fun to meet our parents when they are young. :) Mine is up.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Your post is much like mine. I also like to know more personal stories of ups and downs my family roots.

Misty DawnS said...

What a great post! I would love to have met my young paternal grandparents - they sound like they were an absolute blast!

bundle-o-contradictions said...

How creative! I'd like to go back & smack some sense into my parents...but that's a whole other story. hee hee
Happy Tuesday! :)

Natalie said...

That's an interesting idea. I'd like to meet my dad when he was younger, because the person he is now is such a disappointment.

bcmomtoo said...

My parents were fairly young when I was born - 21 and 22. When I look back at pictures, I think they really were young. But at the time, they seemed old - because they were my parents. I don't know if the actual age of the parents makes that big of a difference as seen from the perspective of the kids. They're still way older than you are.

Unknown said...

I'm with Anna. I was only 16 when I had my daughter, but I've always seemed old to her. :)