HOME ----ABOUT----AWARDS----CONTACT

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

There and back - and there and back again...

Beccas2ndBday_003Yesterday was Becca's two-year checkup. Now normally I like it when my kids have their well-baby/kid checks. It's an opportunity to see how much they've grown, have a few minutes with our pediatrician to talk over concerns or questions and show off my kids to the office staff. I absolutely love our doctor, the nurses and everyone at the office - they know and remember our kids from visit to visit. And I feel like they take any concerns that we have seriously.

There is only one thing that I wish I could change about our pediatric office - the location. You would think that it would be very convenient - I work downtown, and our pediatrician is located downtown, in the same building as my ob/gyn actually. It's literally about a 5-minute drive from work.

Work, which is where I am during the day. My kids are at daycare. Which is very conveniently located close to home. Conveniently for everything except doctor's appointments, that is.

You see, even though my commute really isn't bad at all (it's about a 10 to 15 minute drive from home to downtown on most days) it's multiplied when I have to take one of the kids into the pediatrician, especially if the appointment is in the middle of the day, like yesterday's was.

Becca's appointment was at 11:30 am. Ok, I figured I'd take her over my lunch hour. And the actual appointment itself did only take less than an hour.

But it was the 15 minutes it took to drive from work to daycare, then the 15 minutes to drive from daycare back downtown to the pediatrician's office. Then repeated in reverse again afterward - 15 minutes from pediatrician to daycare and finally the 15 minutes from daycare back to work. Add in the time spent talking a toddler into getting in and out of her coat, strapping her in and taking her out of the carseat...
BeccaColoringAtTable_001
Yep - one simple doctor's appointment ends up taking up a 2-hour chunk of my day! Usually I try to schedule appointments for the kids first thing in the morning if possible - it cuts down on at least a little of the 'back-and-forth', like a ping-pong ball feeling. But since I had to reschedule this one from when I was sick last week, we had to take what we could get.

The actual appointment went well. No shots this time! Becca is in about the 75th percentile for both height and weight. She's about 34 1/2 inches tall - and she did a pretty good job of standing for them to measure her height. In the quick glimpse that I got of the scale during the split second that she stood on it before grabbing desperately for me, it appears that she weighs 29.6 pounds. Or thereabouts. There are days when it feels like she weighs 50 pounds... I'll have to check the baby books tonight to see how she compares to the other girls at this age. Abby was always big and Hannah was always small, so it's fun to see where Becca fits in.
BeccaWithTravelAquadoodle_001
Becca is such a funny little Punkin - so different from the other two girls who are very social and love to say hi to the staff, show off what they can do to the doctor, etc. Becca has no interest in any of that. She clung to me the entire time and had no interest in the board book that the doctor gave her to take home, or the sticker she could've picked out after we were done. She's such an independent, bossy, always-on-the-go girl at home that I sometimes forget how shy she actually is in public.

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network add to sk*rt

8 wonderful people said...:

mommyof7 (2inheaven) said...

I love seeing how different each of my kids are at each of there well checks. My only girl will have her 2 year old check in Feb. And my twins that just turned 4 will have there 4 year check up then too. I have a 5 month old (today) and I love to see where he is with his 3 brothers and sister. Right now he is in the middle. Really long and skinny. I got your blog from someone that left a comment on my friend's pinky's blog. Her and I live in the same town too. Just as you and Live in Color. I hope if you have time to come and check out my blog. I don't have allot of regulars yet. And I not quite as funny as some. But I like to write when I can.

Kristi said...

It is funny how Becca's personalities are so varied depending on her location. Glad the appt went well. I still need help with some blogy stuff but I forgot to bring in my phone last night...too cold to go back out :(

Jen @ One Moms World said...

She is so adorable! Glad to here her appt went really well but sorry about the two hours. It's funny cause Lyndsee does the same thing when they try and do her weight hehe.

Jean said...

Oh yes the ping pong commute, that's my drive every day. The office is literally less than 2 miles from the house, it's the schools and daycare that put me driving literally in a circle morning and night.
Becca sounds just like Bossy shy for strangers but the Boss at home.

Mom Knows Everything said...

I usually have an hour or so wait at my doctors office before we even get in to see him.

Anonymous said...

I know that feeling, doctors appts. take so much time up out of the day. It can be frustrating!! I am surprised Becca gets shy in public, she always looks so social and outgoing in the pictures! She is a cutie pie!! What fun you must have with her!

XOXOXO

BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

She's so cute!

A nurse at our pediatrician's office once told me that the "Best" time to make an appointment is at 1 o'clock or immediately after the lunch break.

Debbie @ Three Weddings said...

Yep, been there, done that. I always tried to make the appointments late in the day so I didn't have to do all that driving. Plus I'd get off a little early. That doesn't always work out though.