HOME ----ABOUT----AWARDS----CONTACT

Monday, November 12, 2007

Heads or Tails #13 - Road

The topic this week is Road - something which I find timely since we just completed a road trip yesterday, driving to and from the Detroit area in a total of about 12 hours (including the time we spent there).

With 3 kids.

And a few words that come to mind when thinking about making a trip like this with my children are exhausting, stressful, and hopeful. Exhausting for us and them - it's amazing how much a few hours of riding in the car can take out of you. Stressful because we have to try to figure out enough ways to keep them occupied in the car or we'll end up hearing, "how many more minutes until we get there?" several dozen times. And hopeful that our drive will be safe and that everyone will arrive at our destination intact, if hungry, bored and with a whole lot of energy to expend.

Actually, things did go pretty well yesterday, notwithstanding the half hour we spent at a gas station when our van battery died before we left). The older girls amused themselves with their VideoNow Jr. players (and the 3 PVD disks that we have left, after losing a couple of them) for quite a while.

VisitToDetroit-Nov07_001

Becca (unfortunately) did not sleep - she is starting to get to the stage where falling asleep in the car (in the daylight anyway) just doesn't happen. But she did stay in a fairly good mood all day even without having had a nap.

We picked the girls up at my mom's (she was babysitting while we went to my dad's banquet) around 9:00 pm and headed straight on the road for home from there. Abby and Becca fell asleep not long after we got on the road, but it took Hannah a while longer.

Eventually she did succumb and all 3 girls snoozed most of the way home.

VisitToDetroit-Nov07_029


Check out other Heads or Tails posts at Skittles' Place.

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network add to sk*rt

16 wonderful people said...:

Crazed Nitwit said...

They are so sweet asleep, like little angels!

Dallas Meow said...

I always like that last part of the trip, when they're all asleep . .

Natalie said...

Road trips with kids can be so stressful...but it's wondeful when they sleep, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

I bet you were relieved when the all finally fell asleep, huh? They look so peaceful.

Bloggers said...

How great! I hate road trips and always am relieved when sleep finally takes over the little ones and usually me too!!

my heads or tails

Anonymous said...

I love when kids fall asleep on road rides! My daughter is famous for it! okb

Barb said...

I know that drive! It's a long one, but for us it seems to go by quickly.

No kids in the car.jmernum

Anonymous said...

so adorable!! Wish us luck, we have to make a cross country trip in about a month (AZ to PA) with FIVE!! Hope you had a good time. Have a great Tuesday.

Rambler said...

I used to hate travel as a kid, and hate it now too :)
But looks like they had a peaceful sleep on the way back

Misty DawnS said...

That last photo is priceless! Great post.

Anonymous said...

Sweet angel babies. You're a lucky lady!

bundle-o-contradictions said...

Wow. Sounds like heaven...
Happy Tuesday. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty much exhausted just thinking about it. The girls are so adorable all zonked out like that. I remember when my kids used to fall asleep on the way home, and their dad would carry them in and put them in their beds. They eventually got too big to carry in!

BeccA's Buzz said...

I remember falling asleep on long road trips...the sound of the road and the motion of the car lulls you to sleep...it's great!

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of when I was a kid. Every year, my family would load up our van and travel from our home in California to Arkansas to visit my mother's family and then up to Minnesota to visit my dad's family, then back home to California. Some nights on the road when my parents thought I was sleeping, I'd feel so good just seeing them in the front seats, bridging the gap between them to hold hands.

Heart of Rachel said...

Road trips are like wonderful adventures. It's good that you bring fun entertainment with you to keep the kids amused during the trip. Sweet photos of them sleeping.