Thursday, November 15, 2007


Last night I worked in the toddler room at church and spent an hour running after, chasing and comforting 5 active little 1-to-3 year olds (including Becca). I spent some of the time attempting to put away at least a few of the toys scattered all over the room. At one point, near the end of the hour, I bent over to pick something up and when I went to stand back up...


I knew immediately that it was too late - I'd pulled/strained/done something to my back. This has happened before a few times, but not in quite a while. The last 15 minutes of the hour were quite painful and probably very comical for anyone who would've happened to glance in.

I managed to put chairs away, put several pairs of shoes on wiggly little feet and wash sippy cups in the sink - all while staying completely upright and bending only my knees. My childhood soccer experience came in handy as I kicked or maneuvered various toys to a point at least somewhat near where they were supposed to be. I talked Abby and Hannah into putting them on shelves when they came upstairs from their class.

I called ahead and warned Ron (thankfully he was home already!) that I wasn't going to be much help getting the girls out of the car (getting Becca in the van and in her carseat was agonizing) or with bedtime. I made it as far as the couch in the living room and collapsed. And, since I was pretty much stuck there, I fell asleep of course. Ron woke me up at midnight to ask if I'd be more comfortable in bed. In bed yes. Getting to the bed - um, let's just say that painful was an understatement. And Ron spent several minutes laughing at me as I attempted to figure out a way to go from standing upright next to the bed to lying down on it - without bending my back. Ok, yes it probably was quite comical. And I do have to admit that I would've been laughing at him if the situation were reversed. :)

It felt a bit better this morning and after a hot shower I was able to get the kids ready and off to school - good thing too since Ron had a 7am meeting at work so wasn't home to help much. And I did make it into work - this is one time when the fact that I pretty much sit in a chair at a computer all day does come in handy. I'd planned to take an 'early' lunch and go listen to one of my blogging friends speak at a church nearby, but had to miss that. Tonight is Abby's school conference and I'm hoping that my back will be better since Ron has a full route tonight and who knows when he'll make it home. Lots of heat and ibuprofen will hopefully help!

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network add to sk*rt

3 wonderful people said...:

Emily at Mommin It Up said...

Hope you feel better! Back pain is awful :(

Megan@SortaCrunchy said...

Yikes! Hope you are doing better soon!

I wanted to say, too, that I read a lot more than I comment. :) For some reason, IE doesn't like to load your page up for me and it often freezes or stalls out . . . But thanks to Google Reader, I am reading!!

Karen (Pediascribe) said...

Ouch is right! Hope you're feeling better soon!