HOME ----ABOUT----AWARDS----CONTACT

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #15 - Podcasts

Thirteen Things about Podcasts that I love to listen to (or want to listen to)

It's been almost a year since I got my first iPod. I bought it with money that I got from selling a few things on eBay, plus a little that Ron and I each gave ourselves out of our tax return last year. The first thing I discovered on iTunes was the podcast directory, especially the Kids & Family section. I was hooked! Not only are they informative, entertaining and fun to listen to - they're also free! I have several that I try to keep up with, a few more that I'm working my way through the archives on, and a few more yet that I haven't listened to yet but am planning on and looking forward to. So here they are, in the order that I first discovered them!
  1. Manic Mommies - The very first one I ever listened to and still the best in my opinion. Erin and Kristen are hilarious and I can so relate to everything they talk about as I am quite the 'manic' mommy myself. I wish I could've 'escaped' with them last weekend, but there's always next year (I hope)!

  2. ChitChat Moms - I really enjoyed listening to Marie and Kelsey but I do have to say that I love the combination of Marie and Sara even more. There are no 'taboo' topics with this one, but I like how down to earth they are and how they really have fun talking together.

  3. KidsWifeWorkLife - Another one that I really can relate to so much. Mike and Chris are a husband and wife who share the hilarious ups and downs of married life, raising kids and living life while juggling jobs and other responsibilities. They also do a book review in every episode and we've discovered some new favorites in our house.

  4. Pediacast - The 'other half' of my blogging friend, Karen! Her hubby, Dr. Mike, is a pediatrician and does an awesome job answering questions and explaining things that our own pediatrician never has the time to. I've learned a lot from every episode - it really is a mix of education and entertainment since Dr. Mike is so much fun to listen to.

  5. Mommycast - Another fun mom duo that share stories, interviews and great topics. Paige and Gretchen have a wonderful camaraderie that comes across so well over their show and with 7 children between the two of them, there is no lack of material for them to discuss.

  6. Dancing With Elephants - This show gets the whole family involved. Greg, Tonya and their two boys (Nikolai and Caleb) share reviews, stories and fun about their lives in the Chicago area. After all, 'Life's always gonna be a three ring circus, so you might as well enjoy it'!

  7. The DivaCast - This group of five lovely ladies are always a blast to hear - it's like getting together with a group of girlfriends. Their kids are on the older side, so it's also fun to find out all of the the things we can look forward to (and dread) as our kids grow.

  8. Mommycast Music Show - I've been enjoying hearing a lot of new music from the Podsafe Music Network on other shows, and here's a great place to discover a lot of it at once!

  9. Pizza Go Here - Another whole family who records together - Matt, Dawn, Emily and Makenzy offer fun stories, a joke and video of the week, Mak's Mac tips (ok, so not as useful for PC users like me, but still fun to hear), and much more!

  10. Technogeekery - A recent discovery - this is my first video podcast find. Chassy Cat delivers quick and easy tips on how to keep up with the latest trends in technology. A fun and hilarious way to keep current!

  11. Just One More Book - Here's one which I haven't listened to yet, but I'm looking forward to it. It's all about children's books and features reviews, interviews and lively discussion - at least so I hear! I've definitely got to find time to squeeze this one in...

  12. Baby Time - Another show that I want to start listening to because I've heard so much about how wonderful it is. First-time parents Dan and Kerry have shared moments going all the way back to pregnancy and the birth of their son, Jack. I look forward to this one because Jack is almost exactly the same age as Becca, so I'm sure I'll be able to relate to much of it!

  13. For What It's Worth - And yet another new discovery that I need to squeeze into my limited podcast listening schedule... From their website, "A husband and wife team, podcasting from the top of the Sierra Nevadas, who bring you a great mix of personal interest, music, weird news and fun." Sounds like it's well worth checking out!
So there you have it - these are what fills my iPod and entertains me on my drive to and from work, as well as any other moments I can squeeze in more listening time. All of them are well worth checking out - and even if you don't have an iPod or other MP3 player, you can download episodes straight from each website and listen right over your computer... So what are you waiting for? :)

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!





Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network add to sk*rt

6 wonderful people said...:

Jean said...

I love podcasts and don't even have an Ipod. When there's nothing on T.V. which is 99% of the time, I listen to a podcast. If your into the geeky science stuff like I am, you might like Radiolab. They have some really fascinating shows-the sleep one is the best. http://www.wnyc.org/shows/radiolab/upcoming.html

jenn said...

I haven't done much with my ipod. It took me too long to figure out how to download the songs!
Happy tt!

Karen said...

Wow! I can't believe how similar our podcast lists are! I listen to many of those same ones! Or I try to when I have time!!!
Except that Pediacast one.....I always listen to that one. Sometimes "live." ;)
Thanks for the shout out!

Anonymous said...

An iPod is definetly on my Christmas wish list this year!!:)

Thanks for all the wonderful referrals, I'm definetly bookmarking these to check out. They all sound great to listen too.

Happy TT!

Neila said...

I have actually never listed to a podcast, but some of these sound like they would be really good! I may have to check them out!! :-)

Thea @ It's Me Vs. Me said...

I am the queen of having 5 windows open when I'm on the internet, I don't think I could actually add "listening" to my multi-tasking list.

How do you find time to do it?