HOME ----ABOUT----AWARDS----CONTACT

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Works For Me Wednesday #12 - Christmas lists

My kids are finally getting old enough that I can't just go to the store and pick out what I 'think' they'll want to get for birthdays and Christmas anymore. Oh no - they have their own opinions, wants and desires now.

If I had a nickel for every time I utter the words, "we'll put it on your birthday/Christmas list" when we're in a store, I would be able to afford the darn gifts! But generally once we leave the store, it goes right out of my mind and when shopping time comes, I am struggling to remember exactly what that toy was that she just. had. to. have.

This year, we came up with a solution. A few weeks ago, we took the girls to Toys-R-Us. We made sure they understood that this mission was for research only - no purchases would be made. Now it wasn't the most fun 'shopping' trip we've ever had and yes there were a few short-lived "I want to have this right now!" types of meltdowns, but in just over an hour, we went through most of the store and I now have a record of everything that they picked out.

A visual record, that is.

Yes, I took our camera with us and snapped a picture of every item that one of them decided 'had' to go on her list. I also wrote it down so I could keep track of who wanted what. But now I don't have to guess when I go back to the store or try to figure out who wanted which set of what. We sat down at the computer last night and created this:

Abby and Hannah will still write their own lists to send to Santa, but they can use the photos as a reminder and a reference. And I can take the photo pages with me when I'm Christmas shopping so I can easily find what they picked out. We made sure to stress to them (many times!) that this is a 'wish list' only and that they will not be getting everything (or even most things) on their lists. But at least now when I'm shopping I will know that the things I'm buying are things that they actually want and (hopefully) will play with.

It works for me! :)

Check out more Works For Me Wednesday at Rocks in My Dryer!

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network add to sk*rt

7 wonderful people said...:

MomOf4 said...

Awesome idea to use the camera to remember!! :)

Memarie Lane said...

GReat idea. I thought about taking the camera with me to do something similar, but was worried they wouldn't allow that. I'll have to try it.

Karen said...

WAY TOO COOL idea! I'd make one suggestion....take 3 index cards and a Sharpie and write each of the girls' names on them. Then if Abby wants that toy, prop her index card up against the box and then snap the picture. That way it's ALL there on one picture. :)
Plus, then you could email a picture to grandma or aunt-whoever and they would know EXACTLY who wants EXACTLY what. :)

Awesome idea, Deb!!!

Anonymous said...

Simply brilliant Deb!

Mandy said...

Now THAT'S some good mommy thinking!

Mom Knows Everything said...

I love the camera idea! What a great way to remember exactly what they want.

Anonymous said...

That is a great idea! With three kids, I'm sure it can get pretty confusing. It's kind of like registering for gifts! hee hee