HOME ----ABOUT----AWARDS----CONTACT

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Abby insights

I really should be asleep right now. I really, really should be asleep right now! But see, I just got home after an evening out - without kids, that included a combination of friendship, the mall, ice cream and a lot of laughter and thoughtful discussion. My mind is racing with everything that I want to say before I go to sleep and forget it all. Thank you, Kristi, for inviting me to hang out tonight - we definitely need to do that more often!

It seems like every time I talk or think about the issues we're having with Abby, I get more insight into what the problems are. I just don't know anything about how to solve them or how to help her. I met with the psychologist last week and went over what's been happening. Then I met with Abby's teacher a couple of days ago to let her know what we're concerned about, see if she was noticing anything so far in school, and find out if the psychologist can come in and observe Abby in class for an hour or so sometime soon (she can). I learned that yes, her teacher has noticed a lot of the same issues - mainly with her lack of impulse control and her self-involvement to where she needs something answered or known right away and will keep at you until you answer it for her. I know I'm probably not describing this very well, but it is very hard to describe unless you see or know her. Impulsiveness is a big part of it though. And an apparent inability to relate to other people in the way that most people do. We'll see what the psychologist thinks. Abby's teacher said that on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the worst she's ever seen of this type of behavior, Abby falls at about a 6 or 7. She does think it seems similar to ADHD-type of behavior. I've been thinking that too, but want to wait and see what the psychologist thinks. I do know that I want to explore any and all other avenues before considering medication (if recommended), but I'm not completely opposed to anything that will benefit Abby.

Ok, I'm fading now. Definitely time to head to bed since I'll be up early and heading out for the soccer mania later this morning. I had more I wanted to say, but I'll have to wait for tomorrow and hope it all sticks in my head somewhere until I can get it down. Good-night.

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network add to sk*rt

4 wonderful people said...:

Anonymous said...

Hope you get it sorted out soon, Deb. Being in the 'waiting phase' of trying to diagnose a problem is one of the hardest places to be. Sending lots of prayers and hugs your way!

~Amber~ said...

Glad you had a good night out!! HUGS!

Anonymous said...

It's great that you had such a good time with your friend! I am always amazed at how just a few hours makes the whole world seem like a different (better) place.
It must be so difficult to sit and wait. I admire you for not jumping to the 'medication' route. I know that is appropriate in some cases but we have some of our own issues with my son and doctors; even the 'really good' ones are quick to medicate and operate and I get frustrated when they can't find the cause of things but aren't concerned, because there is a pill that will 'fix it'.
I won't make this comment a post in itself; but food allergies can cause more behavioral issues than I was ever aware of... maybe that is an avenue? Just a thought. Hang in there...

Anonymous said...

Glad you went out and had some Mommy time.
The waiting time for testing is so hard, but hang in there! Nothing can worry us or bring us to our knees fast, if we think something is going on with one of our kids. I hate that feeling. However, you are doing ALL the right things, and remember, she has so much support at home and so many strengths!!! It will all work out.
Hugs and good thoughts,
Eileen