HOME ----ABOUT----AWARDS----CONTACT

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Works for me Wednesday #3 - Morning schedule

With kids who aren't able to tell time yet, I fell by accident on the way that we (try to) keep everyone on schedule on the mornings when we're all rushing around to get ready for school, work and daycare.

In general, our kids don't watch a ton of tv. Especially not on the weekdays since we're busy with other things in the evenings and I know they don't watch a whole lot at daycare. The one time that we do generally turn the television on however, is in the mad, crazy rush of the mornings. It keeps the girls occupied and they usually spend a few minutes snuggling with Ron in the recliner - also nice since they usually don't see him for the rest of the day.

The Disney Channel shows The Wiggles from 7:00 am until 7:25 am (or thereabouts) - here in Michigan, anyway. The girls aren't into the Wiggles much anymore, but they do enjoy sitting and watching every morning after they're done with getting dressed and eating breakfast. I'm usually rushing around, trying to get myself and Becca ready, and do everything that I couldn't prepare (or forgot) the evening before. I can't always keep an eye on the clock and the girls don't tell time much yet anyway. But I realized that there's another way to let them know when it's time to leave.

When the Wiggles ends, the Disney Channel puts on This is Daniel Cook - a little 5-minute or so sketch. The rule is that if the girls want to watch that, they have to run and get their shoes (and coats if needed) and bring them back into the living room to put on, or the tv goes off. And once Daniel Cook is over, it's time to start getting backpacks and lunchbox and getting everyone outside to leave. If Higglytown Heroes comes on then we know we're running late. Of course, we tend to run late a lot - but at least we know we're late and the girls know they're supposed to be hurrying. Whether they actually do hurry or not - that's for another post!

Check out more Works For Me Wednesday tips at Rocks in My Dryer!

And check out my very first giveaway - you could win one of a couple of great books to help your kids prepare for school!

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network add to sk*rt

8 wonderful people said...:

Joyful Days said...

Even though we are getting a little "grown up" we still love Daniel Cook! We have been known to coincide our leaving with a show...or two.

Anonymous said...

I've been known to use tv shows as time minders as well. :P We don't have to leave for school every morning, but I do use it to remind them that it's time to move to the school room and start school. But mainly I use the show lengths for comparison when the kids have to wait for something: "It will take us two Dora's to get there." "You couldn't even watch a Hannah Montana before dinner is ready." "You can play outside for as long as a VeggieTales and then you gotta come back in."

=D

Anonymous said...

Lots more fun than a timer : ) Great tip Deb!

Momma Bean said...

My girls are in the Wiggles phase right now. They were at the Palace of Auburn Hills in August and I was dying to take them, but didn't.

I know just about every one of their songs by heart!!

Southern Mom said...

We also use the Disney Channel as our clock for leaving in the mornings.

The Egel Nest said...

Our son is only 1...I suppose I will have this joy of time keeping adventures in my near future! :)

Bradley
The Egel Nest

Tooz said...

Gosh, this telling time with the TV goes back to my childhood. Superman came on Sunday evenings, at 6:00. We had church activities at 6:30. We could stay until the last commercial on Superman and still make it to church on time (only about two or three blocks). We and another family were always running into each other as we dashed in the doors of the church...they watched Superman too! Telling time by TV worked for us, too!

Mrs. Brownstone @ XBOX Wife said...

Mr. Brownstone and I still love Daniel Cook, too!

This is a not only a great way to keep on schedule, it's a great way to limit TV!

Thanks for sharing!