HOME ----ABOUT----AWARDS----CONTACT

Monday, September 24, 2007

Heads or Tails #6 - Pets or Pet Peeves


This week is all about either pets or pet peeves. I'm going to kind of do both of them but cheat a little too... A few months ago when I first started this blog, I wrote about our pets so I'm going to refer you to that post and also include a (somewhat) recent picture of our two kitties - Misty and Snuggly. Aren't they cute!


Ok, now that we've gotten that taken care of, on with the pet peeves!

You'll notice that my husband has a knack of doing many things which are pet peeves of mine. He'll try to tell you that I'm just too sensitive or picky, but we all know better right? Right? Um, well anyway...

One of my pet peeves is when people pick something up to use and then don't put it back where they found it. Things like pens, scissors, nail clippers, cordless phones, remote controls... So when I go to use it next, it's not where it's supposed to be. This behavior drives me nuts because I then have to waste my time searching for whatever-it-is instead of doing what I was going to do with it. (Confused yet?) Which adds a lot of time on to various tasks. If certain people (including but not limited to my loving husband) would just put things back when they are done with them, I everyone would be much, much happier!

Ok, this isn't meant to be a husband-bashing post. I'll try to contain myself. Really, I will.

Another pet peeve I have is when someone (who shall remain nameless) finds it necessary to leave articles of clothing in the exact spot that he he/she he was standing in when said article of clothing was removed. So then I find myself tripping over discarded shoes, socks, sweatpants, shorts and underwear. I've noticed this phenomenon occurring even when this nameless person is standing right next to the laundry hamper! Imagine that. Hard to believe, huh? But yep, it's true. I must also admit that this trait is apparently genetic because it seems to have been passed down to the next generation (Nameless Jr. and Nameless Jr. #2). So far only one other person (short, bald-ish and incredibly cute) in the house is good about putting things away and not only will put away her his/her own stuff but also anything else she he/she comes across lying around. I'm going to fight to keep this one on the right path!

That brings us to pet peeve number three. Or at least the third one that I'm going to bring up here and now.

There are times when I will buy a specific food item for myself. Or where I buy enough of a food item to make sure that I have enough to last me for a week's worth of lunches, or for a specific purpose. Not only do these food items tend to disappear from time to time but the culprit has the tendency to simply expect me to go out and replace them! Myself! I argue that if someone else is going to eat food that was intended to be mine then that person should be the one to go out and replace it. The counter to that is that we are all a family and should all be able to share things like food and if I run out of something then I should just go out and replace it.

And yet this person also complains when I eat a bag of 'his' 'his/her' Skittles... Whatever happened to sharing as a family then, I must ask? Someone should know better than to leave a bag of Skittles lying around for day after day - I tend to assume that it's not wanted by that point. Makes sense to me, right?

So I'd better stop here before I really get myself into trouble. I'm fully expecting someone to see past all of my (not so) brilliant attempts at being anonymous...

Ron - Sweetheart, Dear, Honey... I do love you, you know! :)


Check out other Heads or Tails posts at Skittles' Place.

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network add to sk*rt

21 wonderful people said...:

Anonymous said...

Oh, don't get me started on husband pet peeves! We could be here all night! LOL!

~Amber~ said...

LOL!! Must be a man thing...mine does the same thing..drives me crazy!!!!

Barb said...

The kitties are adorable!!!!

As for the rest.. gee.. I wonder who you were talking about? :)

I cannot stand when people don't put something back. Drives me nuts. How hard can it be? Sheesh.

You're family likes Skittles.. cool!

Rebecca said...

Cute cats! And thanks for mentioning candy - it reminded me I have a box of DOTS in my purse ;-)

Happy H/T - mines up at http://anyapples.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

wow, I can relate to one of those. I have a special cupboard just for me--if I don't hide things I buy in there it's gone. Have a great Tuesday.

Anonymous said...

That pic of the kitties is beyond adorable!!!!
Oh and I know where you're coming from on the articles of clothing strewn around the house and not finding things where they ought to be. Drives me nuts!!

Siani said...

Those cats are ever so cute. I must confess to being a bit of a clothes-strewer myself. I think I was a man in a past life, LOL.

Shaz said...

I'm with you on all of these. I thought you lived in my house for a second there! x xx

Anonymous said...

I love your kitties! We almost adopted kitty number 2 this weekend at Lolly Pop Farms, until Daddy man had a total fit. Hannah and I are still very, very angry and not speaking to him.
I think your hubby and mine have to be related. Even thou we aren't technically talking about husbands, hypothetically speaking, those are the exact same things that drive me crazy!!! It seems like such a simple thing to fix too. They just don't get it or they figure, we'll pick it up anyway. Grrrrr. I'm with you in spirit! If they could only be perfect like us, LOL.
XOXO

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid I'm guilty of one of your peeves...of course, when I can't find what I didn't put back...then I just blame it on my husband! He humors me and admits it MUST be his mistake! LOL! He DOES know how to be a good husband! :)

Karen said...

All very normal pet peeves.
Here's a hint...don't wash ANYTHING that doesn't make it into the hamper. Once he runs out of underwear, he'll figure it out.
My unnamed person has the habit of taking off shirts inside out. They go through the laundry that way and I fold them inside out. Not my job to turn them rightside out. He complains about it, but I say, "Hey, I fold them like I get them." And that usually fixes things for quite some time! Be consistant! Men are trainable, but it takes a long long time.
Oh, and hide YOUR food! :)

Heart of Rachel said...

I love that photo of your cats. They look so sweet in that embrace.

I remember when I was still working, I get a little irritated when colleagues would use my pens, stapler and scissors from my desk and not put them back where they got them.

Misty DawnS said...

The cats are adorable - great names too ;-)

My step-son had this horrible habit... if he was walking around and talking, he would HAVE to pick something up (i.e. pencil, rubber band, farm tools, whatever) and he would carry it around playing with it while he talked. Then he would just sit it down wherever he stopped and that's where it would be left. I used to have to retrace his footsteps to find shovels or other farm tools, when one of us needed to use them.

Rambler said...

guess some time before I develop some wifey pet peeves :)

I think I hate it when people don't respect other people's things, you know use without asking, lose it, misplace it, or even put it in another spot.

Anonymous said...

Your furbabies are too cute!

Yes, my husband does all of those, and more, we could be here a while!
It must be a man thing! LOL!

bundle-o-contradictions said...

You are not alone. One of my favorites is when ...uh, Anonymous can get up to get a soda (in the kitchen, where the recycling can is) but leaves the empty on the table. ??? Aaauuurrrggghhh!!!

Mom Knows Everything said...

My daughter has a habit to putting the remote for the tv in the weirdest places. I find it in the bathroom all time. She's a teenager and for some reason she won't put the remote down for fear that someone will change her channel on her.

Crazed Nitwit said...

As we say in our house~it's a community property state so unless you hide your special food(which I do) it's fair game. Too funny though. It's not often I guy something for me that the others want. I just bought apples I love and no worries any of 'em will touch you.

Thanks for all the wonderful comments on my blog in the past weeks. Hugs.

bcmomtoo said...

My husband thinks I'm too sensitive or picky, too. What really bugs me is when he doesn't take care of his own stuff, but, if I have something out for a reason, he gets all 'helpful' and puts it away. Or, he has a hard time remembering to turn the light off in the closet. I'll wake up in the middle of the night and realize the light is coming out under the door. Then, the other day, I was getting ready to go somewhere and hadn't finished getting everything out of the closet. While I was in the bathroom, he came in and turned the light off in the closet. Huh?

Oh well, I love him anyway.

Andree said...

geez i know JUST what you are talking about with the food!! I bake for Mr. T and me. He has his at supper, I have mine. I wake up in the morning and it is ALL gone!! No seconds!! So far I am still amused (even when he finished off my Chocolate Indulgence Cake made with real cream!!). I hope I continue to react this way!

(Oh, the clothes problem? That is ME, not him! He is neat!)

Amanda said...

what a sweet picture!