HOME ----ABOUT----AWARDS----CONTACT

Thursday, September 6, 2007

Threes or fours - a number puzzle

When I was writing about my mom being one of three sisters, I started thinking about how many groups of three kids there are in my family. And how many groups of four kids there are in Ron's family. And how many boys vs. girls in each.

Ready for some fun with numbers?

Let's start with my family - just 'cause it's my blog and I can. :)

My grandparents had 3 girls, and then after many years, a boy. Of those four kids, my Aunt Barb had 3 boys (only one of whom still lives). My cousin Jim only has 2 kids (one boy and one girl) though, so that throws things off a bit.

My Aunt Pat had 3 kids - one girl and two boys. My cousin Karen has 3 boys, none of whom are married or have kids yet. My cousin Tom never married or had kids, and my cousin Kenny was killed in a car accident many years ago.

My mom has 2 kids. Which also throws things off a bit. Although she does say that if she hadn't had a hysterectomy right after my brother was born (uterine cancer), we may have had a third sibling. Hard to say. :) I have 3 kids (so far?) - all girls. My younger brother isn't married and doesn't have any kids (that I know of anyway). ;)

My Uncle Bob has 3 kids - one boy and two girls. Kind of the opposite of Aunt Pat. His kids also throw things off as each only has one kid (so far?) - all girls though.

So to re-cap... In my mom's family there are 5 sets of three kids. And 5 people who haven't had any kids for one reason or another. In my generation (my first cousins), there were 11 kids (4 girls and 7 boys). In my kids' generation (my kids and my cousins' kids), there also are 11 kids (but 7 girls and 4 boys this time). Kind of weird, huh!

Is your head hurting yet? LOL

Ron's family is simpler - basically that he is one of 4 siblings and of the four of them, two (his sister and brother) each have 4 kids. His other sister only has 1 and we have 3. Which makes 12 grandkids for his parents, an even dozen. And of those dozen, there are 10 girls and two boys. I think our chances of having a boy in the future may be pretty slim from those stats! :)

So what does this all mean? Probably nothing, but it was fun for me to think through and subject all of you to a lot of confusion.

Maybe we'll have a 4th child at some point - maybe not. We're keeping our options open right now and not ruling anything out. Although that would give Ron's parents a grand total of 13 grandkids. Yikes. Now that's one number that isn't the best omen. ;)


Powered by ScribeFire.

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network add to sk*rt

2 wonderful people said...:

~Amber~ said...

Wow! Totally awesome!! I love reading stuff like that!!

My mom and dad have 28 grandkids. 14 grandsons and 14 granddaughters!

Karen said...

My great grandma has something like a bazillion grandkids, a ka-gillion great grandkids, and now great-great grandkids. :) YIKES!