HOME ----ABOUT----AWARDS----CONTACT

Monday, September 10, 2007

Heads or Tails #4 - September 11th

The theme this week is to reflect on our memories of September 11, 2001. Which is appropriate given tomorrow's date - six years later. It's hard in a lot of ways to believe that it's been six years already. I'm sure it's harder for the families and those with loved ones who perished that day.

I was at work that morning when I remember our secretary, Hope, saying something about a plane crashing into the World Trade Center in New York. We didn't have a television in our office but we did have a radio, which is how Hope had found out. I called Ron at home (he was staying home with Abby at the time) to see if he'd heard. He hadn't, so immediately turned on the tv. I was on the phone with him when the plane hit the second tower, so I heard about that from him. I also was on the phone with him later, when the second tower collapsed. I'd heard the first one collapse over the radio, along with the rest of our staff, who were gathered around Hope's desk for most of the morning.

Over the rest of the day, we listened to the radio as much as we could and also watched news footage on the internet. I don't remember much else about work that day, but I know that Ron and I watched the news footage at home that night. And I remember how devastated and lost I felt to know that something like that could happen here. We'd lived pretty care-free before that, as Americans, unlike so many other parts of the world where conflict is an every day reality.

Abby was only 5 months old on that day. I worried for her and what kind of a world she would grow up in - I knew it wouldn't be the same world that I had grown up in. I felt proud to be an American and we purchased and hung an American flag when we moved into our first house only a couple of months later. It took about that long to get a flag - they were out of stock and back-ordered everywhere we checked. I remember how patriotic we felt and everyone around us - proud to be Americans, and horrified at what our complacency had cost us.

I don't know anyone personally who died that day or who lost a loved one. I can only try to imagine their grief and anger over the devastation of that loss. I know that I mourn the loss of the freedoms we had before that day and the symbol of the towers over the New York skyline. And I pray that the world will know peace someday - for us, for our children and for their children.

God Bless America.

Help remember this day over at Skittles' Place.

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network add to sk*rt

11 wonderful people said...:

Barb said...

It was so hard to comprehend that we were being attacked.. HERE, in our own country. (I'm old, but not old enough to have been around during Pearl Harbor.)

The towers falling. I think that was the worst part.. knowing so many people were dying as we watched.

Anonymous said...

I remember that day very clearly. My co-worker's wife called up to tell us that a plane had hit the WTC. I thought she was kidding so I didn't think much of it. Then while she was on the phone with me, the other plane hit the tower. It was so scary not to know what was going on.

Hey check out my blog! I gave you an award!! :o)

Rebecca said...

That was really well written. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I remember fearing for my children's future on that day too. what a great post--thanks for sharing.

bcmomtoo said...

Yes, I remember that - how hard it was to get a flag after that. They were all sold out. I had forgotten that.

Anonymous said...

i posted about 9/11, too. I didnt share where I was though. I still remember it like it was yesterday...watching it live on TV. When I allow myself to remember it I still cry. Such a horrible day.

Heart of Rachel said...

I was really scared for my family living in New York when it all happened. As I watched it on the news, I could hardly believe it was true. I was grateful that my family was safe.

I felt very sad for everyone who died and for the families they left behind. I never thought something like that could happen.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about our children's futures. I remember thinking about our "future" children and what kind of world they would live in. Great post.

Mom Knows Everything said...

I worried about the children too. I think if we all pray for peace and patience that the world would be a better place. Wonderful post.

Rambler said...

really a scary thought, what world we and our kin are getting into, where there is so much of hatred amoungst

Andree said...

You used a word that I had not thought of lately: complacency. We need to be aware of how our actions in the world appear to other cultures so that we don't harm them and create so much hatred that this happens. I know this is a simplistic explanation and it is much bigger than this, and it's a huge job but I hope we can make some progress.