HOME ----ABOUT----AWARDS----CONTACT

Friday, August 31, 2007

A bittersweet moment...

I waved to an empty window this morning.

Not one little girl stood there frantically waving to me this morning, like usual. And it reminded me of something...

Today was the last day that I'll drop 3 children off at daycare in the morning. School starts on Tuesday. Abby and Hannah will go over to our neighbor's house in the mornings to wait until the bus comes and I'll be taking just Becca to daycare.

I'm not sure why that saddens me... We've been looking forward to the big girls both being in school, daycare costs (hopefully!) going down and all of that. But we hit a milestone this morning and I didn't even realize it until it was over.

Nobody waved to me. And nobody will next week either since Becca doesn't usually wave - she's off and running and busy from the moment we get there.

I didn't realize how much waving to my girls out the window of the van while I pull out of the driveway had become a part of my morning routine. I guess the routine will have to change, like so many things will next week. Two big girls in school - where has the time gone?

I'm not sure why they didn't wave this morning - they were probably busy with seeing their friends and got involved in an activity right away. Which is a good thing really. Or so I keep telling myself. It's a milestone for them too - the last full day at daycare.

Yes, there will be school vacations and various days off throughout the school year. Not to mention next summer, when all 3 of them will go back to daycare. But that will be temporary. Today was the last 'official' day that I had 3 little ones to drop off. On Tuesday, Abby will be a first grader and spending full days at school like the 'big kids' do. Hannah will be in 'real' school for the first time. And the van will seem very empty in the mornings as Becca and I head to daycare by ourselves.

I wonder how long it would take to teach Becca to wave out of the window at me...

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network add to sk*rt

7 wonderful people said...:

~Amber~ said...

Oh my Deb..that made me cry!!! Big Hugs to you...our kids grow up too quickly!

Jean said...

It's so nice to meet a working mom that also deals with the stress of 3 different schools (Im stuck in that boat for another year) and dealing with the cost of daycare!
Thanks for stopping by! I look forward to reading through your blog.

Corey~living and loving said...

hugs for you mama! it is so very hard when change comes. ugh....It will be so much harder for you than them.

Anonymous said...

Don't feel bad - my youngest wouldn't give me a goodbye kiss on her first day of Kindergarten.

Grandmother Wren said...

ohhhh...that is hard.
But I've found that there are new joys with each new stage our children enter.
God bless you.

Anonymous said...

Visiting from the COFL.
Kids really grow up so quickly. It always touches me whenever my daughter leaves for school and gives me a peck on the cheek and whisper I love you mom in my ear!

Admin said...

Awww, just goes to show that we need the waves and hugs as much as our kids do. What a lot to deal with with the 3 schools and daycare too. Let's hope your life gets easier as they get older.

Shine On,
Lill