HOME ----ABOUT----AWARDS----CONTACT

Monday, August 27, 2007

Heads or Tails #2 - Hobby

Ah, back in the days when I had time, I had hobbies! A few of them anyway. And I actually used to be able to start a project - and finish it even. Wow, that seems like so long ago.

I haven't finished a project that I've started since Abby was born. That's going on 7 years now. That's just - depressing, actually... Now that Becca's older and sleeping better I really should try to get back into doing some of the hobbies I used to do.

What did I used to do? Glad you asked! I used to love to crochet, especially baby afghans. When my friend Mary was pregnant with her first baby (10 years ago!), I made her 4 baby afghans. For a time, everyone I knew that was having a baby - got a baby afghan from me. Even people I didn't know very well.

Quick and funny story here - when I was pregnant with Abby, I made 2 baby afghans. Both of them were very time-consuming as they were made entirely with single crochet stitches. One was supposed to be for me and the other for a girl I knew at work who was having a baby. She left her job before her baby was born however, and I never got the afghan to her. That afghan? Is now Abby's "blankie" that she still sleeps with and asks to take with her places. It's not in the best shape anymore, but considering the use it's gotten, it's held up quite well. The afghan I'd made for my own baby (Abby)? Sitting in a drawer in Becca's room - none of my children have been all that interested in it.

I tell Abby that she can't let anything happen to her blankie - it took me 6 months to crochet it and that was before I had kids. If I tried to make another one, she'd be in college before it'd be done! :)


Here's Abby at about age 2 with her blankie, sitting in Hannah's bouncy seat...

The other hobby I used to do was to cross-stitch. I only starting doing that a couple of years before I had kids so I didn't make too many things. I made a stitched picture for each of my parents one year and I stitched a Winnie the Pooh sampler for Abby while I was pregnant with her - yes, along with crocheting 2 baby afghans and reading a ton of books (I don't consider reading a hobby - I consider it a necessity of life... LOL). Ah, the days when I could sit for hours with a craft and a good tv show on...

Abby has been asking to learn how to knit. I bet she'd be happy enough with learning to crochet. And that would give me a fun excuse to get back into it. And there are a few things that I'd love to learn how to do - like sewing (especially quilting).

Hmmm. Our next-door neighbor just had her baby on Saturday. And my friend Mary is due on Becca's birthday in January. I wonder if she still has the baby afghans I made her when Matthew was born? Or if she'd need a few more... :)

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network add to sk*rt

11 wonderful people said...:

Dottie said...

First visit to your blog and I absolutely love your header image! I remember trying to teach myself to knit and crochet... it did not go well! I think it'd be great if you sat down with your daughter and taught her to crochet. She'd LOVE the one on one time with Mom!

Anonymous said...

LOL--I can totally relate to your lack of time. I haven't done anything creative since my daughter was born a year ago. Good luck in finding the time--love the blanket.

Mom Knows Everything said...

What a cutie! My son has to have a blanket with him all the time, but it doesn't matter what blanket. He'll even take a towel. LOL

Anonymous said...

I used to cross stitch, and I've been meaning to pull it back out, now that I'm having more time that the kids are growing up, but I know what you mean. I couldn't sit down for 10 minutes and get 10 stitches in, that I would have to 'tend to whatever it was the kids needed'.
I've always wanted to learn how to crochet. Maybe when I find time to learn I can make a baby blanket for my grand children! :)
Fun post!
Blogging's been a great hobby!

Crazed Nitwit said...

Beautiful blankie. I carried my blankie until I was 5!

Stine said...

Lovely blanket - I hope she cherishes it...
No time? Wonder why? My oldest is 18, and the youngest is 1 - I guess another 18 years until I can take up hobbies again...

Barb said...

That's a cute story about the two baby afghans! Single stitch? No wonder it took so long. It's beautiful, by the way!

I've tried cross stitch a couple times. I never seem to finish those. :)

bcmomtoo said...

Beautiful blankie. It's kind of neat to see something you worked so hard on is loved so much.

I had to laugh the way you said reading is not a hobby but a necessity of life. Exactly!

Anonymous said...

I love your header image as well. I have to upgrade to be able to make a custom header, I think. Anyway, fun post about crocheting. Your girls are too cute!

Anonymous said...

I learnt to knit once, a long time ago. I only tried it twice. I liked crochet much better.

Andree said...

I agree: if you taught Abby, you'd go back and figure out how to find the time. And everybody needs to know how to knit or crochet. there are so many reasons why they should know. Go for it!!