HOME ----ABOUT----AWARDS----CONTACT

Friday, August 17, 2007

Eight more random facts - my 'other' life

I did one of these a bit ago, but I've been tagged by Believer in Balance for it again, so decided to do 8 more facts!

I talk a lot about my life as a mom, but I don't talk much about my life at work, so I thought I'd share 8 things about my career.

  1. I never knew what I wanted to do with my life and still really don't (other than being a MOM!). I changed majors twice in college because of this and have always envied people who knew from a young age what they 'wanted to be when they grew up'.

  2. My degree is in Geography, specializing in Urban and Regional Planning. My minor was Public History (started off as a major but changed it to a minor. I was only one class and an internship away from a double major in both but wanted to graduate when I did).

  3. After graduating, I couldn't find a job right away so I temped doing office stuff. I got my first 'real' job from one of these temping jobs - I was an Administrative Assistant for 1-1/2 years. I liked the job and it paid very well but I wanted to use my degree after spending all of the time and money on it!

  4. I worked at the same city for 6 years, first as an Assistant (City) Planner and then as Zoning Administrator. When we moved here, I worked for a private consulting firm doing planning (and GIS) until Becca was born.

  5. I've been working at this job for a year, as of August 7th. I was off for 6 months in between because of maternity leave and a horribly failed attempt at trying to stay home and start a home daycare business. It failed because we were trying to replace my income (I had been the main breadwinner) and I couldn't find enough kids to watch before we got so far behind financially that we almost lost our house. We're still catching back up.

  6. I do enjoy what I do now and if I can't be home with the girls (still my first choice), I'm glad to be working here. I love working with computers and maps.

  7. I work in a city's IT Department, but the whole department is contracted out so I actually work for a private company. I got the job through a recruiter originally so for a while I was a contractor for a contractor for the City. Answering the question "where do you work?" was very complicated for the first 6 months I was here until I was hired in permanently!

  8. I do wish I had a window at work - I haven't had one at my last 2 jobs and I miss being able to see outside. I don't even know what the weather is doing most of the time.
So there you have it - hmmm, can I count this post as being 'work-related'? LOL

I'm not going to tag anyone in particular but if you haven't done this one yet feel free and let me know so I can link to you!


Technorati Tags: , , ,

Powered by ScribeFire.

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network add to sk*rt

1 wonderful people said...:

Believer in Balance said...

Isn't it funny where our career path takes us! Thanks for doing the facts...again!