HOME ----ABOUT----AWARDS----CONTACT

Saturday, August 18, 2007

I AM a soccer mom!

I have a dilemma.

I have two children old enough and wanting to play soccer this year. Which is a great thing, really. Hannah's been watching Abby play for two years now and wanting to play so badly herself. So I couldn't not sign her up this year now that she's finally old enough. And Abby, even though not the 'best' soccer player - she loves it and wanted to play again too. So we signed them both up last spring.

I knew we would probably have some scheduling issues since both of them will play on Saturdays. With Ron's schedule of working every Saturday, I knew that this could create some issues depending on how the timing worked out. After all, I can't physically be in two places at once. And since the girls are in separate programs because of age, they will be playing at two different schools.

Thus my dilemma. And it's ended up being more complicated than I'd originally thought too.

Hannah's in the U5 program. They meet once a week on Saturday mornings at School 'A'. Abby played in the U5 two years ago and my friend Kristi's son Noah played last year. Last year they played starting at 10:30am. In this program, the parents work with their kids on practicing a new skill every week (hmmm, how to manage that while dealing with 2 other kids too?) then they break them up into groups of three for some practice on that skill and some scrimmaging.

Abby's in the U-8 program this year. They have a practice one night a week for an hour and then a game every Saturday. Games are at either 9:00am, 10:30am, Noon, or 1:30pm at School 'B'. Last year her practices were on Fridays at 6pm - it was hard getting everyone picked up from daycare and fed in order to make it there on time, but we managed pretty well.

Ok, so here's the problem.

I had been figuring that we'd be ok on Saturdays unless Abby happened to have a 10:30am game because I would otherwise have time to make it from hers to Hannahs or vice versa. Nope, no such luck. Hannah's program starts at 10:00am this year instead of 10:30am. So that means that we'll have a conflict if Abby has either a 9:00am game or a 10:30am one. Ok. So we'll have to either have Ron take some Saturdays off (which will hit us hard financially since he doesn't have paid days off) or I guess I'll have to try and find someone who can take one of the girls to soccer if there's a conflict.

Then there's the matter of Abby's practices. Her coach called a couple of days ago to let us know they're going to practice on Tuesdays from 5:30pm until 6:30pm. Um - well I work until 5:00pm and we're usually just leaving daycare at 5:30pm to head home. Not at all practical for working parents!

Again, if Ron's home, no big deal. But most evenings he's not home until at least 7:00 pm or later. Apparently this was the only practice slot that was open, so the coach had to take it. So now I have to figure out how to pick everyone up, feed them, get Abby changed into her soccer gear and get to the field by 5:30pm. I'll have to probably see if our daycare provider can feed them (another meal that's not in our contract) or see if I can possibly get out of work early every Tuesday for 6 weeks.

Oh yes, then there's the girls' church choir. On Tuesdays. From 6:30pm until 7:00pm.

So now we're looking at the following for Tuesdays: Get out of work early to grab kids who hopefully have been fed something. Have Abby change for soccer either at daycare or in the car. Drive 3 kids to soccer practice and chase Becca around for an hour while Abby practices and Hannah plays on the playground (thank goodness there's a playground!). Leave practice early to make it to choir - since choir's only a half hour they really can't miss any of it. Bring 3 tired, cranky kids home finally at 7pm, just in time to put on their pajamas for bed. Eat dinner myself.

I really didn't think I'd overscheduled us with just choir and soccer! But I don't think this could've worked out any worse for us in terms of the logistical gymnastics. I'm tired out just thinking about it!

It is only for 6 weeks though and the girls are going to have a blast with soccer - especially Hannah. I know we'll figure out the rest somehow. We'll probably have to keep them out of choir until soccer season is over or again - see if we can find someone to help out. I hate asking people for help though - and everyone I know is usually busy with their own family stuff.

There wouldn't be any issues if Ron still worked a straight M-F, 9-5 job. Even with the (much) nicer paychecks, sometimes I hate Ron's job!


Powered by ScribeFire.

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network add to sk*rt

1 wonderful people said...:

Anonymous said...

Ugh... I feel for you!! That is so cool though that the girls are into soccer!! It is huge in our town! Oh... so cute!! I can't stand my husband's job sometimes too , but it definitely keeps this family going!!
Great post!!
- Audrey
Pinks & Blues Girls