HOME ----ABOUT----AWARDS----CONTACT

Monday, August 27, 2007

Monday Madness #2 - all about the weather


In Michigan, the saying is, "if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes". And oh, is this true many times. We get the usual mid-western assortment of sun, rain, sleet, snow, freezing rain, tornadoes, and combinations of all of the above. We also have Lake Michigan that tends to scramble anything coming out of Wisconsin and Illinois, giving our meteorologists nightmares, I'm sure.

1. Where you live, what kind of weather (or weather-related tragedy) do you fear the most? I think one of every mid-westerner's fears has to be of tornadoes. I know I fear them. They are unpredictable and hard to track so you generally have little if any warning. And getting to shelter (if you can find or have one) doesn't always mean that you'll be safe. We don't get as many here as in other mid-western states, but we generally have several tornado watches and/or warnings every year. When I lived in Kalamazoo, people still talked about the tornado that had hit there in 1980 with a tone of hushed awe in their voices.

2. What kind of weather do you MOST enjoy? I love sunny to partly-cloudy days where it's about 70 degrees with little humidity and a light breeze. I also like a good thunderstorm every so often though! And those cool, crisp fall days with an overcast sky that makes the colorful trees really stand out...

3. What kind of weather do you LEAST like to drive in? Snow, hands down. Especially those whiteout conditions where the view in front of you looks eerily like when the Millenium Falcon jumped into hyperspace in Star Wars and you can't see the lines on the road or the cars in front of you. I've driven in this type of snow many times and it's the most white-knuckled, praying to stay on the road kind of weather I've ever driven in.

4. What is the scariest weather-related experience you've had in your lifetime? Pretty much any of the times related to #3. I've been lucky to not have been involved in any major weather-related issues (so far). I've been scared during tornado warnings too, but there's something about being in a car and not being able to see where you're going that's absolutely terrifying.

5. Share a "weather picture" with us!

I don't know if this is specifically 'weather' related but it's the closest I could find right now:


Check out more Monday Madness!

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network add to sk*rt

7 wonderful people said...:

Suprina said...

I would hate to drive in a blizzard type snow as well.
What a gorgeous picture!
Happy Monday Madness.
Have a wonderful week!

Anonymous said...

Bleh! Blizzards are no fun!

I love the photo of the sunset! Beautiful!

Happy Monday Madness! Have a great week!

raqgold said...

we once had to drive up on a mountain without snow tires in a blizzard. arrrgh, i dont want to repeat that experience again! thing is, you dont want the kids to know you are afraid and yet you are, very much afraid! the sunset's lovely!

meowminx said...

That is a beautiful weather photo. Clear skies and a lovely sunset (?)

The kind of weather I really fear the most is when there is a tornado. (Not that I have experienced it yet, but I think I'd rather go through an earthquake)

Thanks for visiting and have a wonderful week ahead!

Kay Day said...

Thanks for checking out my blog! I love your photo. And I'm with you on the driving. Drove 45 miles at midnight in a white out. Wasn't fun. Fortunately, there weren't any other cars on the road for me to run into!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the least favorite driving conditions! I'm in Indiana, so tornadoes are pretty normal here, too - and no fun at all!

Thanks for stopping by my MM! Oh, and the photo is gorgeous!

DawnK said...

What a lovely sunset! Since I'm on the east side of Lake Michigan, it's strange to think of watching sunsets over the water! We only get sunrises, over here!

You're right. We did have similar answers to #2!

Snowstorms aren't that fun to drive in, either! I like snowstorms, when I just get to stay home!km