HOME ----ABOUT----AWARDS----CONTACT

Monday, August 27, 2007

So much for saving money on daycare this fall...

So I am really frustrated. We've been waiting for a year, since I came back to work, for this school year to start since with both older girls in school, we'll be saving a bunch of money on daycare.

Or so we thought.

I dropped the girls off at daycare this morning and our daycare provider didn't say one word to me that wasn't normal every day conversation.

Then I got to work and found this e-mail in my inbox (written yesterday):

Hi Deb,
I want to apologize...I made a mistake when figuring your fall tuition.
Becca will stay the same, $150. Hannah will stay at $100, technically she should be $125 because even though she will be going to school, she will be here more then 4 hours per day and is taking up a full time space. Abby can stay at the $2.50 per hour, but I charge my other before and after school kids $5 per hour. I gave you a break in the beginning because I know that having 3 kids in daycare is expensive. I will offer a discount for the fall as well. I again apologize. The way I have it figured now is~
Becca $150
Hannah $100
Abby $12.50
total $262.50 per week.
I will have a new contract for you to sign with the new tuition on it. The contract is the same, just the total tuition will change. As before, tuition is still due on Mondays.
I hope this works for you, I am sorry for messing this up...I feel terrible. It seems we never have time to chat, this email seems so impersonal.
Have you heard from the doctor in regards to Abby's testing? I am sure that when she starts school they will also have some resources for you. Please let me know if I can help in any way. She had a good summer, I know this last week will be the hardest!
If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know. I don't know if I will have the chance to check my email until Monday evening, things are busy during the day.
Thanks, and again I'm sorry for my mistake!

This is after I'd sent her an e-mail a couple of weeks ago verifying what I thought we'd be paying this fall, and she wrote back agreeing with me.

What really bothers me is two things. First, she could've said something to me this morning in person when she saw me - even just a "hey, I sent you an e-mail" kind of a heads-up would've been nice.

And yes, Hannah will be there for 5 hours. But Hannah will be there the exact same hours that Abby was during the last school year. Abby cost us $62.50/week even though she was technically "taking up a full time space" then. And now we need to pay $100/week for the same hours? This just doesn't make sense to me at all.

Sigh.

Somehow it seems like we just can't ever get ahead. I was really looking forward to our daycare bill finally being lower than our mortgage payment and maybe having extra money to get caught up on bills...

Sorry - I know it's a drop in the bucket compared to what other people are going through and dealing with, but I just needed a chance to vent. Back to what you were doing! :)

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network add to sk*rt

6 wonderful people said...:

Anonymous said...

Incredibly frustrating! I am so sorry. If you really wanted to stick to your guns, you might try to further negotiate the price due to the previous e-mail confirming the original prices.

Negotiation may be uncomfortable up front but you may be able to compromise and say some $$$.

Good luck!

Sorry for your morning. That was tacky!

Erin
www.ExpectingExecutive.com

Anonymous said...

gee...I can spell "save". LOL

Erin

Anonymous said...

That is very frustrating! I agree with you, that you see could have at least mentioned the e-mail she sent you with the changes. It does seem like with day care you can never get ahead. Before and afterschool care turns out to be almost as much as full time. We are now just finally getting out of day care all together, barely. I am still not comfortable with the current arrangement, but my hubby's school (he is principal) is only 5 mins. away, so if there is a problem, they can reach him.

It is still hard. Wishing you luck with your new contract and lots of hugs.

Anonymous said...

Wow... how FRUSTRATING. I have read some of your older posts and it seems like you guys can't really get ahead.

It definitely seems like she feels bad; but at the same time she kind of should. I went to a daycare class (I thought about starting a daycare for about, oh, 5 seconds) and they said never forget you are a business - and you have to act like a business and expect to be treated like a business.

It kind of seems like she isn't really expecting to be treated like a business; you set the price, got it in writing, and then she changed it on you. Sorry to hear about this :(

Anonymous said...

OMG, that's ridiculous! That's more than alot of people even MAKE in a week - why bother? Just stay home with your kids, eating bon bons and watching soaps , like the rest of us LOL

Anonymous said...

Wow, she really didn't go about that the right way.

Jane, P&B Girls