HOME ----ABOUT----AWARDS----CONTACT

Monday, August 27, 2007

From a father's perspective...

Ron now reads my blog. I'm not sure how much he reads it, but he read my earlier post about fathers and daughters. And he wrote something and asked me to post it for him.

So here's my first official guest post - by my husband. Enjoy! :)

I’ve been thinking about writing something for Deb’s blog for a couple of weeks. But I just couldn’t think of anything to write. She’s the one who’s good with words (especially written).

I am the dad of three girls… sigh!

I’ve wanted kids since I was 15 years old and I had to wait till I was nearly 31. When Deb and I found out that we were pregnant with our first child I was beside myself. Our subsequent miscarriage was, to say the least, devastating.

Then our bitty girl, Abby, came along. And then another girl, Hannah. Each time I was hoping for a boy. Oh sorry, did I forget to mention I LOVE SPORTS! And I’d always imagined having a boy. So, when we were told at Becca’s ultrasound that we were to have another girl. Well, fighting the tears was difficult. I’m not sure Deb knows how close I came to losing it.

Now, I know this probably sounds bad, but Dads just can’t have the same kind of fun with girls as they can with boys. Right?

Yeah, right. My girls LOVE to wrestle with me. I’ve gotten pounced on, body slammed, knees to the ribs and back… and they love the satisfying OOOOOF they get out of me (usually overly dramatic, since they rarely hurt me). And I love it! They also love to be tossed off (the less gentle the better) when they’re jumping on my back trying to get me to wake up from my pretend nap. The more I jump around and bounce them during a piggy back ride the better too. And let’s not forget that I was their very first real swing. Holding them in the palms of my hands and swinging them (sitting up) back and forth to squeals and giggles. This is STILL one of Abby’s favorite activities (much to my back’s chagrin! She’s 50+ pounds!)

Now, my favorite sport is football. And my girls throw the football AT me whenever I try to tackle them... LOL. I doubt that Deb will ever let any of her babies play football. :)

Unfortunately for me, there’s girl’s soccer… up until Abby started to play, I HATED soccer. Now I can tolerate it, but it’s still not football. He he

I love my girls and would never trade any of them for anything. But I want a boy. My last name is unique, if anyone in the world has my last name, I am somehow related. It’s very important to me that my branch on the tree carry the name down to future generations.

Maybe Deb and I will try one more time, perhaps not, but if I get another girl… I’ll have another broken heart, for about 10 seconds. Then I’ll remember all of the joy Abby, Hannah and Becca have brought me and look forward to that 4th $10,000 wedding. (ACK!) Any chance that by the time our girls get married tradition will have changed to the groom paying for the wedding and taking the bride’s last name?????

Probably not.

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network add to sk*rt

8 wonderful people said...:

Anonymous said...

My husband can so relate to you. He was brought up with all boys and now has 2 daughters and no boys of his own. When they were first born, he didn't even know what to do with them. LOL!

He's always been a guy's guy playing sports and surfing. I tell him, girls can do anything boys can do if they really want to.

Even though he probably never imagined his life turning out this way, he wouldn't change it for anything in the world.

Anonymous said...

I've noticed my husband with our girls, and even with our son, the girls just melt his heart.

We met a friend this weekend, who has 3 girls, and he has a friend that has 4 girls, and his friend keeps asking my friend, when him and his wife are going to try for a son, and my friend said there are no guarantees, and look at his friend has the 4 girls.

What was funny was my friend was talking about his 2yr old and my baby Lindsay playing softball together when they get older, or my 4yo Katelyn joining soccer. Girls can definetly do anything boys can do.

Kerry said...

What a sweet post. I have a cousin who is a farmer who has 7 girls!

Anonymous said...

My hubbs is in the same boat! We just call him the king of the house ;).

That was so nice of your husband writing this all out! Too cute Deb.

Thanks for sharing.

Shana said...

I just loved this post. I, of course, am on the opposite side of the coin as your husband. And I loved hearing his perspective of life with all girls. I understand the phrase ...I’ll have another broken heart, for about 10 seconds... But I too wouldn't trade my life with my boys for anything in this universe.

Good job, Ron!!!

Anonymous said...

Aw, I love, love, LOVE this sweet post!!!
So cute to read about a daddy having so much fun with his little girls.

~Amber~ said...

Awwwwww.....I know how Ron feels. We are currently trying for another baby, and after 2 girls, Andrew is ready for a boy as well! I think you should try for another one!!!!

bcmomtoo said...

I have noticed that all men want a son. Then, they get a daughter, or in this case 3, and there is just something special between fathers and daughters. Sports or no sports, the relationship is special.

Maybe at least one of the girls will marry a guy who will take her last name.