HOME ----ABOUT----AWARDS----CONTACT

Monday, August 20, 2007

Heads or Tails #1 - Luck

I thought that the topic for this one is pretty interesting. Some people believe in luck - others don't. Some people are 'born lucky' and others seem to always struggle. People call it luck or fate or divine intervention - I'm not getting too deep into philosophical discussion here, but it does make for a lot of thinking! I believe that God has a plan for all of us. But I think also that we do make our own choices to a certain extent and that we can make our own 'luck'.

Whatever I believe about luck, there is one time that I am very glad to have been 'lucky'. In 1997, I was living alone, in a massive amount of debt, in a city and with a job that I was not very happy in. I was looking at all kinds of options - graduate school, other jobs... I even considered moving 'back home' to the Detroit area. I couldn't find any jobs I was really qualified to apply for anywhere else. Then one afternoon I got a phone call at work. It was from the Director of Community and Economic Development at a city that I had applied for a job at earlier that year. I had done a phone interview but hadn't gotten the job, so had written it off as a possibility. I had even moved (twice!) since then - but because I hadn't changed jobs, my work phone number was the same and that was how they tracked me down. They had another opening and my name was still on the list from the earlier interviews. They were interviewing in the next week or two and were wondering if I was still interested in the job and coming in for an interview.

That phone call changed my life. I have no idea where I would be today otherwise or if I hadn't stayed at the job I wasn't happy in long enough for them to reach me. It was... meant to be. Within a month I'd gotten the job, moved across the state and I lived and worked there for 6 years (happily) until we moved here and the commute was just too much. I would never have met Ron or had my girls if I hadn't been 'lucky' enough that they found me and to have gotten that job.

I haven't had anything quite so 'lucky' happen to me since, but that's ok - once was enough for a lifetime.

Check out more Heads or Tails over at Skittles' Place!

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network add to sk*rt

9 wonderful people said...:

Anonymous said...

what a great post about luck!! I am so glad you were lucky in 1997 :)

Mom Knows Everything said...

Great post! You were lucky to stay at that crappy job. It led you to your wonderful life.

Hanley Family said...

Luck, fate or the blessings of sticking with it, Congratulations!

Kell Rees said...

I don't know if i believe in luck but i do belive in fate and this must have been yours!!!

Shana said...

You have been tagged (check out my blog), if you want to play, just let me know.

Barb said...

So glad you joined in!

Back home is the Detroit area? We live south of there near the Ohio state line.

Isn't it funny how one little thing like a phone call can make so much of a difference in our lives?

bcmomtoo said...

Great story! I'm glad it worked out so well.

Misty DawnS said...

Isn't funny how sometimes when we think that our life is so off track, it turns out that if we weren't on that track, the 'right' things wouldn't have happened? Great post and I'm so happy that things turned out for you the way they did!

Rambler said...

Sometimes luck and fate go hand in hand.. I do believe in both